Magnus... I'm So Sorry...

One minute, everything was silent. The next, Alec took a slight breath on his own and started coughing and spluttering. A gush of blood spilled from his mouth and he was quickly rolled onto his side by Jace.
"Alec!" Isabelle exclaimed, ecstatic that he was alive. For a short time he struggled to catch his breath, he just kept coughing. More and more blood spilled from his mouth and onto the floor.
"Izzy don't worry. It's the blood that pooled in his lungs. If he doesn't cough it up then he'll drown in it." Jace said matter-of-factly. He was rubbing his Parabatai's back gently, trying to keep him breathing. It took a short while for Alec to settle down and he couldn't stop his eyes from closing with exhaustion. Isabelle ran her fingers gently through his hair, soothing him and letting him know that he wasn't alone. The young Shadowhunter left the house, leaving the three of them alone. Jace hadn't managed to catch his name but he was extremely thankful for his help.

After a few hours, Alec opened his eyes and looked at Isabelle and then at his Parabatai. He had been covered in blankets and then left to rest. Pushing himself up into a sitting position alerted the others that he was awake. Instantly moving to his side, Isabelle gently pushed him back down.
"Stay down Alec. You need to rest." She said softly.
"Izzy..." Alec croaked. His throat was extremely sore and it hurt him to breathe too heavily.
"It's okay. Just rest. We'll get you home soon but we can't move you right now. You need to build up your strength before we can go anywhere because we sure as hell aren't leaving you here alone." Alec nodded slightly. Isabelle moved to sit by his head and then she lifted his head carefully and rested it in her lap. She gently twisted locks of his hair around her fingers and quietly soothed him back to sleep.
"How bad is the damage?" Jace asked after Alec had drifted off to sleep.
"I don't know. I can't tell. It hurts him to breathe but that's all I know as of now."
"We can't stay here long."
"I know Jace. But he needs to rest for now. The next time he wakes up we'll see how he is."

It was the next morning before Alec opened his eyes again. Both Isabelle and Jace were already awake and talking quietly.
"Jace..." Alec croaked. Jace looked over at him and moved to his side.
"What's up?" He asked nonchalantly.
"I want to go home..." Jace looked at him sympathetically and then carefully helped him sit up. Isabelle fed him a small breakfast of what they'd managed to find in the small house. His sore throat hurt every time he swallowed but he managed to eat it. It was bland but it was edible, which was better than Isabelle had ever done before. Then Jace slowly helped Alec to his feet. Isabelle instantly noticed a problem with Alec that would slow them down significantly.
"Jace, his leg..." Isabelle said. She took over supporting him to let Jace have a look. He noticed that Alec wasn't putting any weight on his right foot.
"Broken. Definitely broken. I'll have to carry him." Jace scooped Alec up in his arms and the three of them set off from the small house. Isabelle had her seraph blade clutched in her hand, ready to act quickly if she needed to. It didn't take long for Alec to fall asleep in Jace's arms and neither Jace or Isabelle had the heart to wake him. They only woke him to give him something to eat or drink and then they let him go back to sleep.

It was days before they got back but before they went to the institute, they paid a visit to the High Warlock of Brooklyn. Magnus still hadn't slept or eaten and Ally had stopped eating too. Magnus tried to feed her little bits which she occasionally took but it was nothing major. The knock on the front door made him jump so he got up from his spot on the couch and opened the door. Isabelle looked back at him with a sad look on her face.
"Magnus..." She said. "I'm sorry."
"No... Don't tell me..." He whispered, his eyes welling up with tears.
"I'm sorry that your fiancée is a stubborn piece of work." Isabelle said, her sad look changing to a smile. Jace stepped around the corner, Alec fast asleep in his arms.
"Dada!" Ally exclaimed, reaching for him. Alec opened his eyes and looked over at Magnus and Ally.
"Hey baby girl." He said quietly. His throat was still sore but it was healing well. Jace carried Alec inside and laid him on the couch, propping his leg up on a cushion. Magnus put Ally in his arms and cried his eyes out. "Magnus..." Alec reached out and took his hand.
"I thought... I thought you were dead..." Magnus sobbed.
"He was. For almost half an hour." Isabelle said. "He fought his way back." Ally was clinging on to Alec, refusing to let go. She'd missed Alec so much and didn't want to be away from him again. Alec kissed her forehead and held her close.
"It's okay baby. Daddy's home now. Daddy's here." Alec whispered. For hours he lay holding Ally, soothing her when she cried and reassuring her when she finally fell asleep. Magnus sat by the couch and refused to move. He kept a firm grip on Alec's hand for the whole time, he couldn't believe that Alec was alive and back home with them. All he wanted now was to get in bed with him and cuddle him but with Ally being so upset he knew it would be selfish to take Alec away from her. Jace had told Magnus about his injuries so he knew they had to be careful until he healed fully. Alec pulled his hand away from Magnus' for a moment but Magnus grabbed hold of it and held it again.
"Magnus..." The way Alec said his name was enough to bring Magnus to tears. Alec pulled his hand away again and played with Magnus' hair.
"I thought..."
"I know baby... I know... I'm so sorry..." Magnus looked at him for the first time in hours.
"Why are you sorry?" Magnus didn't understand.
"I worried you... And Ally... I was selfish..." Magnus smiled and kissed Alec's cheek.
"You weren't selfish baby. You protected your sister. You were brave and caring. You did the right thing. I'm proud of you." Alec smiled slightly, Magnus could see how tired he was.
"Kiss me again..." Alec said, his eyes drifting closed as sleep started to take hold. Magnus knew what he meant. He leaned forwards and brushed his lips against Alec's gently. He then leaned his head against the crook of Alec's arm and for the first time since he'd been away, Magnus fell asleep.