The Letter

Magnus got to his feet after a few minutes and offered his hand out to Alec who took it happily. Pulling Alec to his feet, Magnus walked hand in hand with him over to the door which he knew Jace was sat on the other side of.

"Jace, you can let us out now." Magnus called. He rubbed his eyes quickly to make sure it didn't look like he'd been crying.the sound of the tumblers releasing their hold on the door was unmistakeable and after what felt like forever, the door finally opened. As soon as Alec saw Jace, he glared at him.

"Oh Alec don't give me that look. You two are back together aren't you? I did a good thing. Anyway, now you two can get that baby that you want." Alec's jaw hit the floor and he stammered whilst he tried to think of what to say.

"How do you know about that Jace?" Magnus asked calmly. Jace simply shrugged and smiled.

"I can be very sneaky when I want to be and Alec needs to be more alert of his surroundings when talking to you on the phone."

"I'm always alert of my surroundings!" Alec exclaimed as he finally found his voice.

"Obviously not well enough. Remember that time when you were in the library and you found a Church under the chair? I was in there too, listening to every word you said." Alec scowled at Jace.

"It was meant to be a secret Jace! We were going to tell you after we actually got a baby!"

"We were?" Magnus asked.

"Yes Magnus!"

"Well now I know, so it's not much of a secret anymore." Jace teased. Alec flipped and lashed out at Jace. Magnus struggled to keep Alec away from Jace to make sure that neither of them got hurt. Before Magnus was able to drag Alec away, Alec kicked out and hit Jace. Letting out a high pitched squeal, Jace dropped to his knees, lay on his side and curled up in a ball. Alec had nailed him right between the legs and now Jace couldn't speak or move. Magnus had never seen Jace act in that way before.

It took a while for Magnus to be able to get Alec home and calm him down enough to get him to sleep. He could see how tired he was and decided to give him some time to relax. For a few minutes, he watched Alec sleep. Alec looked so adorable when he slept and it made Magnus ecstatically happy to have him back home. Sitting down at his desk, Magnus started re-writing the letter he'd burnt. He needed to make it persuasive because gay relationships were frowned upon amongst Shadowhunter's. Also, a Shadowhunter dating a Downworlder was even more frowned upon. It wasn't a Shadowhunter he knew of but he needed for the letter to make a good first impression. He worked away for hours, trying to get it right. Time after time, Magnus ripped up the letter because he was afraid he'd got it wrong.

Alec woke up at the sound of Magnus' annoyed exclamation.

"Magnus? Baby what's wrong?" He asked worriedly. Getting up off the bed, Alec went over to Magnus and put his arms over his shoulders.

"I can't get it right..." Magnus said sadly as he leaned his head back against Alec's flat stomach.

"Oh Magnus, you're so tense." Alec said as he started massaging his shoulders. "What can't you get right?" Magnus rolled his shoulders back slightly and closed his eyes. Alec was great at giving massages and Magnus loved it. It was such an easy way for him to relax and clear his mind.

"The letter..." Magnus said after a short while. Alec stopped massaging Magnus' tense shoulders but started again quickly.

"I'm sure it's great, you just doubt yourself too much. You always doubt yourself." Alec placed a gentle kiss on top of Magnus' head and then rested his chin on his head. "Stop doubting yourself."

"I just want this baby so badly... If I don't get this right, then we'll never get a baby..."

"We will. Magnus, we will. I'll help you write it and it'll be the best letter that has ever been written." Pulling Magnus' desk chair out a bit, Alec went around to the side of the chair and sat in Magnus' lap. Wrapping an arm around Alec's waist, Magnus held him gently and smiled. Together, Alec and Magnus wrote down numerous different ideas before piecing them together into a completed letter. Leaning back against Magnus' chest, the two of them read the letter one last time. Taking the letter, Alec folded it in two and put it in an envelope with the Shadowhunter's name and address on it before Magnus snapped his fingers and sent it off.

"We did it Alec, we wrote it and now it's gone." Magnus twined his fingers with Alec's. Alec was much lighter than he looked so Magnus was totally comfortable with him on his lap. A part in his mind wanted so badly to do more with Alec, but a more overpowering part told him that he needed to wait for Alec to make the first move. Pulling his knees up, Alec moved onto his side and hooked his legs over the arms of the chair. His head rested against Magnus's chest and his arm was around the back of Magnus' neck.

"You tired baby?" Magnus asked quietly. Alec nodded in response, his eyes were slowly drifting close but he tried so hard to force them open. Magnus put an arm under Alec's legs and the other around his back before slowly standing up with him. Then Magnus carried Alec, bridal style, to their bed and lay him down carefully. Gently removing his arms from around Alec, he pulled the duvet around him and placed a delicate kiss on his cheek.

"Go to sleep." Magnus said softly with a smile on his face. Alec held his hand out to Magnus, who took it happily.

"Sleep with me? Please?" Alec asked. Magnus smiled and got into bed beside Alec. "I love you Magnus. You're my best friend and my soulmate."

"I love you too Alec. Now get to sleep." Alec smiled and his eyes drifted shut.

Alec wasn't asleep for an hour before his eyes opened slightly. Magnus was in the corner of the room with their window open. A long stream of smoke blew out the window and then ceased to exist.

"Magnus? Are you smoking?" Alec asked. Without looked at Alec, Magnus nodded sadly.

"I started again when you left, and now I can't stop." Magnus explained. "I'm so sorry, I know I promised that I'd stop forever but I just got so upset." Suddenly, Alec's arms appeared around Magnus' waist and Alec buried his head against Magnus' back.

"You can smoke if you want to. I'm not going to make you quit. It's your life." Magnus almost dropped the cigarette.

"I don't want to smoke Alec. It has no effect on me, but in the long run it could be the death of you and maybe even our baby. Please help me quit again."

"Of course I'll help you Magnus. That's what I'm here for after all. Now give me the cigarette." Magnus took one last drag on the cigarette and then handed it to Alec before blowing the smoke out of the window. Putting the cigarette out, Alec held Magnus and smiled.

"Remember the first time I tried to help you quit? You refused to hand your cigarette over. This is really good Magnus, I'm so proud of you." Magnus smiled slightly.

"Thank you for helping me Alec."