Closed Casket

Sofia took the first train back home, and after a few hours, awaited just outside the station for Dalton to pick her up. 

Dalton was waiting for Sofia's arrival, unsurprisingly so.

Something's wrong... He's usually energetic to see me..., Sofia thought as she approached the vehicle.

"I'm here." Sofia said.

"Oh... Yes, we're headed back home if that's ok with you, Miss Genovese." Dalton said. 

Sofia could tell right away that something was wrong, and this only made her fears stronger on the current situation of her father.

"What's wrong..." Sofia said.

"So you noticed... It's your father. Get in." Dalton said as the both of them entered his vehicle. 

The car almost immediately takes off, allowing no hesitation to break Sofia the news in the process.

"Your mother is worried about you, she can't wait to see you, Miss Genovese." Dalton said.

"What happened with my father?" Sofia asked.

Sofia came all this way without a single answer to that very question, so asking it without your emotions being visible in the tone was impossible.

"He was attacked at the seven summit..."

"What?! Is he ok?" Sofia asked. 

Dalton thought he was prepared to do this, but even the most preparation won't be enough for this. He couldn't bring himself to say anything at that moment. 

All he could do was squeeze the leather steering wheel, hoping that the burn would bring him enough courage to say the words. 

To even do so much as scream it out. But no, he remained silent for a few more seconds before choking from the pressure.

"No..." Dalton said.

What does he mean... He's gotta be ok... Father's always ok..., Sofia thought, then said, "Seriously, what's going on here?"

She didn't know what to think, and with little information given, her mind could only think of the worst-case scenario. 

She still had hope as her father wasn't someone who couldn't take care of himself, but still, this tension was thick enough that you could cut it with a knife, and that wasn't good for her current mental state.

"Your father is no longer with us, Miss Genovese..." Dalton said softly as he held back from releasing more than words.

"What..." Sofia said in shock. 

This was all she could get out after hearing that. She didn't know what to do, she didn't even know how to take this, she just remained frozen as if she swam in the arctic waters of the Zidenya mountains. Zidenya is a country known for its cold and beautiful mountains.

"I'm deeply sorry..." Dalton said before they finally arrived at the Genovese residence. 

The ride felt as though it took hours, especially after being hit with the truckload of tragedy, but in reality, it was a mere fifteen minutes. 

They pull up just outside the home, where they see crowds of suited people outside and all in black.

"This can't be happening..." Sofia said.

"Your mother wants to see you, Miss Genovese." Dalton said before both of them exited the car and approached the home. 

The men and women who are all dressed in black and crowded in front of the house notice Sofia with Dalton, and they quickly all step aside for Sofia to enter the home.