Self Blame

Meanwhile, on the Volkov Reserve, Anastasia along with the rest of the 3rd Division was huddled around a man-made fire while they sat outside.

"So is there something that we should know, Ana?" Susan asked.

Clearly she had to be hiding something, no one expected to be ambushed upon arrival. Especially in that manner where a sniper would be watching their own assassins.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Anastasia asked. 

"Are you kidding me? We were ambushed at the entrance and nearly killed by a sniper, why go through all this trouble to keep people from entering the reserve?" Susan said.

"It's because they want my father." Anastasia said.

"Then why not just rush in here and kill him?" Zevi said.

An obvious question indeed, if only it were that simple.

"The best chance they had was 6 years ago at the assassin summit." Anastasia replied. 

She reminded herself of that trauma constantly, who wouldn't continue to remember the family that they lost in the span of one night. The only way she could protect what she has left is through the only organization that is untouchable.

"That's why you want him to join the IJA, for protection?" Sebastian asked.

Being an IJA member, only a fool would assassinate you and think the wrath of god wouldn't befall them. 

"Yes... I don't know how long he can stay like this... It seems they didn't even know of him being alive until after the graduation ceremony." Anastasia stuttered.

Anastasia continued to nail herself to the cross, constantly asking herself if things were different then she wouldn't have to go through these standards just for safety.

"They found out? How?" Zevi asked.

"It's because of me... It's... It's My fault that this is happening..." Anastasia said.

She blames herself for her father's demons catching up to him...,  Sam thought, then said, "Well, that's why we're here. We'll get him out of here."

Sam smiled as he spoke, even though they could only see the minor outline underneath the bandages wrapped completely around his face.

"It won't be easy... They might even be bold enough to go onto the reserve now." Anastasia said.

"So who really is trying to kill your old man?" Susan asked.

The one question that everyone wanted answered, especially after the incident at the entrance of the reserve.

"The Shogayaki's." Anastasia said.

Anastasia's words were quite shocking to the rest of the 3rd division. The Shogayaki's were more than a household name within the IJA, and associates to the agency, so hearing their name as the culprits of this debacle wasn't expected.

"What?! Why would they be behind this?!?!" Susan asked.

"You don't understand do you..." Anastasia softly said as she stared into the fire. 

Maybe looking long enough will bring back their faces. 

"They are the ones behind the deaths of the Volkov's. This is Saijo's doing... Him and his damn pride is the reason for all this..." Sam said.

He... He knows too..., Anastasia thought while looking at Sam.

Anastasia was unaware of just how much the higher-ups of the IJA knew, which included the death of her family. But this entire incident all happened before the IJA and the Shogayaki family formed an alliance. Even though they were on common ground, there were still many secrets held from the relationship.

"Don't worry though, we'll find him. I don't go back on my word." Sam said.

Meanwhile, one of their stalkers still remained in the area. A tent was set up a couple hundred yards from their current location. The tent itself was being ravaged by the blistering winds, especially at the altitude the tent was at in comparison to the 3rd Division, but that couldn't be heard even five feet from the campsite. 

Momo exits the tent wearing the same parka and snow hat from before.

"I so don't want to do this..." Momo said before being cut short from static noises shouting from a radio. 

She looked down at it, which was sitting next to her.

"St... tus... date... status update."

Momo sighed of boredom before picking up the radio, then said, "All 5 pawns are dead. We'll need more or at least some with better resumes."

"Why don't you just do it yourself then? You can defeat all of them by yourself and end this!"

"This isn't something I want to do... Why are we even worried about someone who already has a torso in the grave?"

"... Fine, we'll send more pawns."

"Send a rook." Momo said.

"Are you sure you want that? Not a knight instead?"

"A rook will do."

"Yes ma'am." the radio responded before cutting off.

Why can't Ichi do this... I could be killing someone much more challenging than this... so boring..., Momo thought as she kept herself warm within her parka.