Second Chances

"Settle down. You'd actually think I'd let him in here without a plan?" Lynden said after Jiro's appearance didn't exactly draw cheers from the crowd.

He does have a point... but I can't just let him stand there after what he did to X., Archer thought.

"I'm pretty sure you all know who Jiro is." Lynden said.

"Sir, we didn't go through all that trouble just to say hi to him." Maria said as even she grew somewhat irritated from Jiro's appearance.

"Alright, Jiro is joining you on your mission." Lynden said. 

This didn't help, this was like watching the home team's third pitcher allow another grand slam, there was simply no recovery from this.

"What?! We can't just let him go with us!" Archer said.

"What if he tries something?! I thought he was a prisoner, what is he even doing out?!" Vivian said.

"Alright, settle down. His old group discarded him, so we can actually find some use of him here at the IJA." Lynden said.

"You still haven't answered as to what we would do if he tries to escape or double cross us!" Archer said.

"Is this even worth the risk, sir?" Maria asked.

"I believe that everyone deserves a second chance, and you should know that as well, Maria." Lynden said, which brung a conflicted feeling to Maria, similar to being reminded of the skeletons in the closet.

"And I'm sending someone else with you too, you can come in now." Lynden said. 

Patti then walks in and she is wearing a beanie hat with a dark colored jacket and a light colored undershirt. She is also wearing thick joggers and sneakers and she has a choker on too.

"What's up guys... why the hell you guys dressed like it's Sunday?" Patti asked.

He has her keeping watch on Jiro?!?!, Maria thought.

"Aren't you our captain?" Archer asked.

"Yeah, idiot, I was the one who recruited you. My mission is simple though, make sure walking reject here doesn't try anything." Patti said while pointing at Jiro.

"Why us?" Maria asked.

"Simple, you were the only division with the most new members, it could've been anyone, but it was you." Lynden said.

"So what happens if this all goes just like you expect it to?" Maria asked.

"If it does go according to plan, then Jiro will be a new member to your division." Lynden said as more boos were hurled at the struggling former superstar that no longer had a hair left of his glory days.

"What?!" Yuki said in disbelief.

"No way!" Archer said, simply rejecting the notion of Jiro joining the 12th.

"You're joking!" Vivian shouted as she couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"What? Doesn't he have to go through things to be qualified for the agency though?" Maria asked.

"Not necessarily, we already know what he's capable of, his potential is too valuable to waste in a holding cell, especially if his old owners no longer want him." Lynden said.

"I don't know if I can do this, especially with him." Archer said.

"Guys. We should just follow orders. I mean look at him. He clearly went through something to have a look like that." Asami said.

She's... She's right. He looks... He looks like me., Yuki thought as he began to feel conflicted about everything he said before. Instant regret began to bubble like a gator within swampy waters.

"Tch..." Archer sucked his teeth, withholding his tongue in anger.

"Now that we have that out. You will be leaving immediately. You will be going by helicopter, I want you to get there as soon as possible. You are dismissed." Lynden said. 

The hall just outside the meeting location was the perfect area to blow off some steam, especially for Archer who was a few seconds away from exploding in front of the Director.

"Dammit!" Archer said as he punched the wall.

"I can't believe we have to work with him..." Archer said.

"I feel the same way Archer, but orders are orders. Let's just take this one step at a time." Maria said.

Asami looks at Yuki and thinks "What's been bugging him... If he didn't like the announcement he would be a bit more vocal, but he's just quiet..."

"Alright. Let's just head out. We should meet with Patti there." Maria said.

"How can the captain take on Jiro anyway?" Vivian asked, after all she did witness Jiro take on the majority of Class A by himself.

"Patti is one of the 12 division captains, she's one of the agency's most talented agents." Maria said.

"I guess she's more than enough to handle him then, huh?" Vivian said.

"Yeah. She's a real pain in the ass too. Don't tell her I said that though..." Maria said.

She got me stuck in charge of these newbies in the first place! I can't believe she dumped them on me like dirty laundry! Ugh..., Maria thought.

The 12th division headed for the parking garage located in the back of HQ, where they met Patti. 

Patti was sitting next to Jiro as he changed out of his chains and convict's uniform. The both of them sat within a helicopter, clearly waiting for the remaining members of the 12th to enter. There was also a pilot seated within the helicopter.

"Took you guys long enough!" Patti said.

"Yeah, yeah yeah, we made it here, captain..." Maria said.

"Still the last one to the party I see." Patti said.

"Yeah... let's go already..." Maria said. Patti taps the back of the driver's seat twice.

"Let's go!" Patti shouted.

"Yes ma'am." The pilot said before he began take off.