Hunting Grounds

(Merlin finishes her chant and they are transported to the east of the capital. Arriving at the scene, Shion runs to a place and begins to vomit.)

Anastacya: Same old Shion.

Shion: You know very well that using transporting magic causes me vertigo and I always end up vomiting!!!

(Merlin chuckles, then falls.)

Anastacya: Merlin! Are you alright?

Merlin: Yes, yes. It seems I'm getting a bit older. Let me rest. I will be alright. You may walk but don't wonder too far. Ahead lies the Forever Woods, home of exotic wildlife and beasts.

(Cerberus appears but this time as a cute dog)

Cerberus: The mage speaks the truth. I can sense my kin far into the woods.

Anastacya: YOU ARE SOOOOO ADORABLE!!!

Welf: Wow. I never saw this kind of creature.

(He begins to touch the little creature.)

Cerberus: Hands off! I saw this mammal in Joss' memories and thought it will be good to change into it.

(Everyone laughs. Joss takes a few steps away from the group and sits in the green land. Worry appears in his face. After a moment, Welf sits beside him)

Welf: I know it may be weird, to be far away from your home or your family, but you must enjoy what life gives you. That is what my Pops always used to say to me.

(Joss makes a half smile. There is silence.)

Welf: You know, I decided to go south to deliver a fine sword. With its money, I would be able to buy something magnificent.

Joss: What is it?

Welf: A ring.

(Welf stretches his right arm to the sky. In his left, there is a flower. Joss takes notice.)

Welf: Oh, this? This is called a Hibiscus. It's a beautiful red flower. Its flower meaning is "delicate beauty". Once I return to the capital, I will give it to her, alongside with the ring.

Joss: She seems like a good girl.

Welf: Ha! Almost. She has a bad temper, always fighting with everyone and it is a perfectionist.

Joss: Then, why?

Welf: She has the most beautiful eyes and always cares for the ones in need. She haves a noble heart. There aren't many women in the world like her.

Joss: She sounds like an interesting person. I would like to meet her sometime.

Welf: I will present her to you, sometime.

(Both laugh)

Welf (mind): One day. My Mei...

(Welf suddenly stands and wraps the flower.)

Welf: Why don't we search for something to eat up ahead?

Joss: Sounds like a good idea. Let's go check on the others.

(They walk back and see a little cottage up ahead. Outside was Shion with Vita carrying some logs.)

Joss: Hey.

Shion: Hey! Took you so long!

Joss: Where is Merlin and Anastacya?

Shion: They are inside resting. Making this cottage took a toll on both.

Welf: The woman must be getting old.

(He chuckles)

Welf: Anyway, depressive guy here and I are gonna hunt something to eat for all of us.

Shion: You two?

Vita: But Master, Merlin told us to not get to far away.

Welf: Don't worry, we are mighty warriors and this one has a hunting hound.

(Cerberus appears)

Cerberus: Hunting...hound?! Insolence! I am a Primal one, a deity! How do you refer to me as a simple hound?!

Welf: Ok, a Primal Hound.

(He grabs the little dog and runs into the forest.)

Welf: Are you coming, Mister Gloomy?

(Joss shares a little smile)

Joss: Yes, I am!

(Vita grabs his hand)

Vita: But Master...

Joss: I will be alright. You stay with Merlin and Shion and help him in whatever they need.

(She looks down sad. Joss looks away and says in a soft voice.)

Joss: When I come back...we can spend some time together...

(Her eyes are filled with joy)

Vita: Ok!!!

(Joss rushes to Welf who was holding Cerberus by his neck, while the Primal struggled to be released. Both entered deep into the forest.)

(The two men wonder for some time making jokes and talking until Cerberus spots a deer.)

Cerberus: This prey could help us satisfy our hunger. Don't kill more than the necessary and don't upbreak the balance of the forest.

Joss: Ok.

(Welf takes his shirt alongside his armor. Only a hunting knife can be seen in his right hand)

Joss: Dude...What the actual fuck?!

(Welf turns to Joss with a smile)

Welf: We are in the forest. No magic spells, no abilities. Just you, the prey and a knife. Like in the past.

Cerberus: The moron speaks the truth. You must be proficient in your hunting skills without abilities. Forget what you know and learn to mold with the place.

(Welf throws a knife at Joss.)

Welf: Get ready. We are going to do a pincer attack. I'll distract it and you do the finishing attack.

(Without delay, Welf begins to run. The deer takes notice and begins to run in the opposite direction. Joss tries to follow while hiding and place himself behind some bushes. Welf's face is full of delight as he jumps around, trying to hunt the animal. He sees where Joss is and makes the animal run in that direction. After some tries, the deer runs to where Joss is and makes a sudden jump, passing the man in hiding.)

Welf: Don't stop there! Go and hunt it!

(Joss smirks and begins the pursue. He catches a glimpse of Welf on the other side.)

Welf: We will do the same, this time, bring the animal to me.

Joss: Ok!

(Both say while running. Joss' face changes. For the very first time since he arrived in this planet, he is enjoying doing something. He moves fast behind the beast, jumping and dodging branches along the way until its prey stops a few meters before him. He hides and walks slowly. He hadn't notice that Welf was not around him. He waits, but the deer turns and looks at where he is. He clenches his fist and makes a sudden jump. The deer evades the attack and watches him closely. Joss looks curious at the beast until he hears a cracking noise. He looks down and the floor suddenly breaks, taking the Deadman down a hole. After some time, the deer flees.)

RhindelmOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara