chapter twenty eight

028: yes, most probably

"You just try to steal some food, Sasha." Jean grumbled as he slung the bag behind him, entering the cabin cottage that served as their hideout for now. "I'll get Captain Levi to chop you up into nice bite-sized pieces." he threatened.

It didn't effectively scare the young lady as she only gave him a glance. "Yeah, well, I'll get Y/n-san to protect me anyways..." she countered, Jean furrowing his eyebrows at the thought. 

When they slipped inside, they were greeted by the new recruits of the Special Operations squad, who were also their fellow 104th mates. Jean settled the sack he was carrying by the near crate only to get Eren's attention drawn to him. 

"Hey! Did you guys wipe the dust and dirt off your shoes before you came in?!" 

Jean gave him an incredulous look. "Say what? No, we didn't. Can't you see all the stuff we're carrying?" he passively reasoned. 

"Do you seriously think that attitude will satisfy Captain Levi?" the boy countered, raising his voice and igniting a rising annoyance in Jean once again. "If I hadn't change your sheets this morning--"

"Quit nagging! Who are you, my mom?!" 

The rest of the guys in the room sighed, most probably knowing where this argument was going but well aware of the bantering the two often initiated. Besides, it wasn't like this was a new thing to them as they were all used to it back in the training regiment and if they could compare, Captain Levi and their Y/n-san had way more vicious banters, often even leading up to blade threats and although Y/n always made their arguments amusing and clearly just plain teasing, it was still horrifying watching the two strongest soldiers in the regiment fight all because of a measly little disagreement between cravats or the last bottle of rum available.

"We're back." Mikasa plainly announced, the axe she used to gather wood fire resting on her shoulder and Historia by her side.

"Wait, were you just chopping firewood?" Armin interrupted, pointing at the axe resting on Mikasa's grip. 

"Gotta stay in shape." Mikasa answered shortly.

"You got grabbed by a Titan! You should be in bed." Armin frantically advised, concerned about Mikasa's health and partly curious as to how she still managed to do normal activities despite what happened.

Eren sighed, hopeless of the situation since he knew Mikasa better than anyone else. "I tried to stop her, but she won't listen." 

Mikasa slowly walked away and Eren could only frown at the thought. "I even saw her doing sit-ups earlier." he continued. 

Jean practically almost shrieked at the words Eren said. "How dare you, you peeping Tom!" he accused, starting another fruitless argument. 

"HA? how does that constitute as peeping?!"

"Mikasa, you do know you're not a wild animal, right?" Armin consoled as the lady slowly walked away.

"It's almost like were back at the Cadet Corps..." Sasha lightly trailed off, a soft and small smile grazing her face, Conny beside her, helping her fix the stack of bread and loaves they just got. 

"Yeah.." Armin replied, looking away. "Why do you figure we were chosen for the new Levi squad, though? Protecting Eren and Historia is such an important mission..."

"Because we're talented, I assume." Sasha replied with a hint of confidence as she sneaked in a few chunks of crumbs intro her bag, Conny noticing the act but not even saying anything as he was used to it. It didn't go unnoticed on Armin though, as his eyes gloomed at the act.