chapter thirty six

036: i have some news for you

"Oh my god, you're heavy..." I groaned, dragging the body up towards the steep hill after dismantling the check point and finding their superior. The man groaned as well, but in a much more painful note, seeing as he was almost half unconscious. 

Sighing, I refocused my vision before continuing to carry him up, holding his figure my the collar of his crinkled clothing and shoulder, hauling him up to where the rest of my squad mates were on look out. When I was over the hill, I let out a strangled breathe.

"Mission accomplished." heaving the heavy ass body of the superior I dragged, all heads turned to me, tense arms raised up with their weapons aimed at my figure, making me raise my brows in surprise. 

"Woah, calm down, its me." I chuckled, shoving the man I dragged along with me. "I got you a present, Captain." I smiled, they all had their gazes fixated on the grunting man. "He's with the interior police." I called, tossing him in front to present him. "Ta-da." I smiled, with jazz hands, literally making Conny face palm from my side vision.

The sun was beginning to settle down. Levi nodded at this, moving over to me and placing a hand over my head, lightly patting it. The action made me flinch but then, a warm feeling sprouted through my whole body at the action, making me look away not able to meet his eyes. 

"Good. I've got a few questions for him." he said, taking control of the situation. 

We relocated deeper within the forest, a place where Hange could easily find us if needed. The sun had long gone down, and at thus, the stars replaced the sky and the moon only serving a little light to us.

 And although the scenery of the night sky was a sight I would never miss to see, nor get tired of, the strangled noises the superior we caught diverted my attention from ogling at the night sky. 

Levi, was once again, certainly having the time of his life beating the crap out of the interior police as he scrambled him upside down for answers. I merely stood by the side, leaning against the large trunk of the tree while flinching and seething my teeth together as I watched him. The other cadets were sharp on look out, but we were all relatively close enough to hear one another. 

The fresh clacking of bones made me squint my eyes. "Oh, that's gotta fucking hurt." I mumbled under my breathe as Levi forced his knee behind the man's back, pushing his face towards the bottom of the tree. 

"Stop it." the man breathed, voice clearly hoarse and out of breathe.

Levi stepped back, only once before crouching down on his level. "Where are Eren and Christa?" he asked once again, clearly getting tired of the tedious work. 

The laugh of the man resounded with the crickets in the background. His chuckle made me raise my brows as he looked up, his hair getting in his vision as red strains tainted the sides of his head, almost making him look like he was just recovered from the dead.

 "Oh, you're so brave..." he mocked, making me throw one of my eyebrows upwards at the statement. He spitted out a heap of red liquid, as if he was scorning me.

"That checkpoint back there was just recruits who could barely wipe their own ass. You think you're some sort of hero beating them down?" he spluttered.

I couldn't hold back my laughter at his statement, making everyone of them turn to me. The cadets had nervous gazes that made me contain my sudden burst. 

"Excuse me, sir." I mocked in return. "But we never said we were heroes." I mused. "Although personally, I'd like to fantasize that I am but then my past records speak for themselves." I whispered at the end, looking away and pondering at past crimes, I did not want to intentionally inflict.