chapter seven

007: a soldier never dies

Leather fingerless gloves fitted my hands, straps for the equipment tight around my body and green cloak gliding softly behind my back, dancing with the wind. My neck craned itself to the side, the action eliciting a crunchy crack as I made my way towards the stables, looking for my all black horse.

"Hey, Y/n!" Eld called out, noticing how I was searching for my beloved horse.

I looked over to him, the rest of the squad getting settled in their own as I moved over, realizing my own horse was with Eld and his.

"I saw you still packing up something earlier, so I thought I would saddle up your own horse for you" he smiled, handing off the reigns of the animal to me, which I gladly took and gripped tightly in my own gloved hand.

"Thanks a lot, Eld" I smiled in gratitude. I was never going to get tired to say this, but they did truly make everything a bit more leisurely than usual. Eld nodded as an answer, moving onto his own and climbing up, the rest of the squad had already settled themselves into their saddles so I did as well.

A crowd was forming around the main pathway towards the gate of the city. I was positioned near the Captain himself, in between a few inches behind him and Hange.

The people were cheering lightly, calling out names and praises and prayers for the mission today. Erwin led the front, his usual position as the commanding officer of the whole regiment as his subordinates—us, followed close behind.

"Look, There's Captain Levi!" a man from the crowd called, his voice reaching my ears as I smirked at it. If one thing I knew about the Captain from the past years of working with him, he hated attention and it was so painfully obvious from the frown he made.

"They say in battle, he's as strong as a whole brigade!" The man marveled.

I snickered, not that it wasn't true though. Captain Levi was indeed a fucking badass in the field, living up to his reputation as humanity's strongest soldier but it hilarious how his brows deepened further at this.

"Shut up already..." he muttered, voice low.

"I bet they wouldn't worship you so much if they knew what an obsessive clean freak you are!" Hange pipped in.

"Agreed" I nodded in approval, making Levi's scowl deepen, his face looming and he scoffed at the sarcastic remark. If he was anymore annoyed than this, even if I didn't tease him, I'd probably be given a shit load of extra work later, nonetheless. Who gives a fuck, at least I get to piss him off even before he barks at me.

"Someone's a fan favorite" I teased silently, making Levi throw me a death glare, up until I heard my name being called.

"It's Y/n-san!!!" A couple of girls flocked by the front, squealing aggressively the moment I made eye contact with them. "They say she's even more menacing in the battlefield when teamed up with Levi! Humanity's hope duo are so good looking!"

My eyes widened as I mentally face palmed.

"Not so much fun if all the attention is on you now, is it?" He stated, lazily throwing his head back to give me a cold glare. I seethed my teeth at this, gritting them together to hold my tongue back.

From the corner of my eye, I could see Hange staring at the both of us with a confused expression etched. Her glasses reflected the morning sun as she went back and fort me and Levi.

"The two of you really confuse me" she muttered. "You constantly bite of each other but yet, in the field you two have this unsaid connection as a wrecking duo" she finished, leaving Levi to scoff as I only raised my eyebrows in her observation. Truly, our attitudes in the field were different from what we were right now but I guess that goes for everyone in the Recon Corps.