chapter twenty four

024: come back. alive

"Hey, keep moving. You'll end up like a little lost kid." Levi kicked the priest's back to usher him forward, clearly annoyed. Nick was stuck in a haze as his spooked eyes scanned the people that were evacuating, the background of cries and distress whispers filled the atmosphere.

"What did you expect you'd see?" Levi asked, disdained. "This is what happens when the wall falls."

Nick placed a feet forward, letting an indescribable gasp. Levi held onto his shoulder to stop him from moving any further. "Hey, where do you think you're going? Take a good look at the faces of people who've lost everything. The faces of everyone you and your people abandoned. If your church's wishes come true, and Titans come flooding through the walls, we'll all be gobbled up in their stinking mouths and die the most miserable way possible. All of humanity, digested as one."

With an uneasy laugh, I pried Levi's hand off of Nick's shoulder. He had an iron grip on the man. "Hey, take it easy on the old man, Captain." I whispered. "If ya' spook him like that, he might really not say anything anymore." I advised and Levi only scoffed at this.

We headed inside. Nick suddenly stepped forwards, leading his way to where Hange probably was, as she was clearly still giving out orders together with Eren. 

"See? If you let him be, maybe he'll just come to realize on his own accord and willingly tell us." I mused to my Captain, receiving a deadpanned look from him which I only scoffed at. 

Hange was talking to Moblit as we entered, but upon seeing us, she immediately went straight towards the approaching Priest. 

"Have you had a change of heart yet?" she asked, a tiny bit of eagerness in her voice as she clasped on to the wooden check board in her hands. 

He didn't answer just yet, letting a moment pass by.

"We don't have time for this! You know, don't you?!" Hange scolded, impatient. "Will you talk or won't you?! Make up your mind already!"

For a quick moment, I swore Pastor Nick would tell everything then and there but then his head momentarily dipped down, before looking back up to Hange with sad eyes. "I cannot say anything. The other believers are the same as I, and that will never change."

My blood boiled at this. "You've got to be fucking kidding me." I seethed before quickly rushing forwards, taking his collar by my hand as I reared my left arm back, before flying it to his face. The punch collided to his cheek with a loud roar, and I could hear Eren and even Hange gasp in the background. 

Nick groaned, his form slouching as I practically dragged him to face me. I was shorter than he was, but he was weighed down with the punch making him almost fall limp to the ground. 

"You had me believing for a fat fucking second that you were actually going to tell us something relatively important. Thanks for wasting our time you damn prune. You've been a real good help, you fucking donkey." I growled, clenching my fists around his collar even tighter, before finally letting him go, watching his figure support itself with his arms to the ground. 

With a brisk huff, I peeled myself away from him, feeling the sting in my torso at the my actions earlier but still pissed. I lightly touched my chest again to feel the bandages loosening. I really need to change them sooner. 

"I thought you said to go easy on the old man?" Levi whispered when I stood by his side again. 

"Nah, screw that." I answered, receiving an amused glare from him.

Nick groaned before standing up once again, his palms covering his jaw. "It's too great a decision for a single person to make." He spoke, making me look back to him with a raised brow.