chapter forty seven

047: let's not die

"Someone's got a big mouth." Levi mutters under his breathe as we all look down to the crowd of cheering citizens below. It had been a long time since I remember such support, in fact, I don't seem to recall something like this from all the expeditions I've been on before.

"Well, with the commotion we made , of course they'd find out." Hange merely shrugs, and I raise a brow at those same cooing and blushing girls from every expedition calling my name.

"Y/n-san! Do your best!" 

Though it was still... jarring. I couldn't help but smile.

"The thing is, all the meat we ordered from before was from the Reeves company." Well that explains all of it.

"Damn that, Flegel."

Oh well, I couldn't exactly blame him anyway. Honestly, it was refreshing to be cheered on like that than the usual whispers of doubt, and I would take this kind of send off than the latter any day. Even if the rest of the scouts didn't outright say it, a support that goes like this raises the morals and spirits of the cadets.

"Yeah! You can count on us!" Jean screams.

"You know we will!" Conny follows, and Sasha just screams her head off.

Laughing, I merely looked down at the eyes of those who were in complete trust of us this time.

My point was proven.

"How long has it been since the scouts got a send-off like this?" 

"Who knows." One of the captain's speak. "I don't think we've ever..."

Erwin gazes down. "As far as I'm aware, this is the first." Before long, he's screaming his head of too, raising his arm in the air in a form of a fist to further encourage the cheers. From beside me, Levi look actually surprised at the change of demeanor from the Commander.

"He seems energetic." I comment. Levi looks over at me, before he gives me a shrug as I simply nodded. "Let him have his fun." I add.

"The final operation to retake Wall Maria will now commence!" Erwin commands.

Riding the carts to bring us down to the other side of the wall, I mount my horse in silence. There's something peculiar, for the lack of better terms, with this mission. Of course, there had always been a sense of urgency in me as a soldier in this regiment, but with this expedition, it seemed to sky rocket than usual.

I let out a breath, reaching over to my pockets to grab the leather fingerless gloves, skimming it slowly with the palm of my hand before closing my eyes, wishing - hoping for an outcome that was in our favor.

Being a scout had never been favorable either way.

But somehow, I had hoped than we would get something out of this. Whenever we were outside the walls, there was always casualties. There was always blood dragged on the supply carts from fallen comrades, that was a given, but with this death parade, I had hoped that all sacrifices would be worth it. Even if it meant I would sacrifice my own self.

For the sake of my dream.

For my father's wish.

For freedom. Always.

All for humanity. Anything for humanity.

"You seem quiet." Levi mutters. It makes me open my eyes, to see him, focus on the sun rising than my presence, but he seemed attentive.

Chuckling, I slid the leather gloves over my hands, opening and closing them to get used to the grip. "I've been spending time with you lately, your personality is rubbing off of me." I reply, and he furrows his brows as he now turns to fix his eyes on me, scoffing in the process.