Chapter Twenty-Eight🥀

I didn't know where we were going

I didn't know where we were going. I don't think Alex knew either. We just kept walking until the prison was no longer in sight. We walked despite the aching pains in our legs. We kept moving and stayed low.

We didn't worry about killing the walkers that crossed our paths, instead we just dodged them and kept going. I kept myself together as we walked. Neither of us spoke, but we stayed mindful of how close the other was. We didn't let the other out of sight, for all we knew we were the only ones left.

We came across a little shed just as the sun began to set. Alex looked over to be and I nodded, pulling my knife out. I didn't want to waste the bullets I had left in my handgun. He did the same before getting into stance. He kicked the door open to reveal it had been empty.

He looked back at me before entering the shed. It was small, but we could make due. "Get some rest. I'll keep watch." I said, "Tomorrow we can start moving again. There's some neighborhoods nearby. I remember seeing them on one of our runs. Think it would be a good start?"

"Yeah, but you get some rest. I can stay up." He volunteered, closing the door and locking it.

I sat down in the corner and sighed. "I'm not going to be able to sleep."

I wasn't lying. I wouldn't be able to sleep because I knew the moment I closed my eyes my brain would replay Hershel's death. It would replay the gunfire and the explosions. It would replay Beth and Maggie's cries and the screams of the group. It would replay everything.

Alex sat down next to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. I placed my head on his chest as I began to cry. He let my tears soak his shirt without a single word. He allowed me to let out all that I had been feeling as we made the trek away from the prison. He let me grieve our losses so that I could let it go and move on.

We had spoken about how we grieve a long time ago back at the prison. His process was very familiar to mine, which made it easier for us to understand one another.

I felt a wetness hit my cheek as his sobs began to push through. He was broken just as much as I was at the moment. He had lost just as much as I did. We had both just lost our home, our friends, the people we considered family, and we had both lost our newly formed relationships.

"I know that I'm probably the last person you wanted to make it out with, but I promise I won't let anything happen to you, Pebbles. We can get through this. I love you like you're my sister, and I'll do everything possible to keep you safe." He whispered as my eyes began to drool in exhaustion. "I'll get you back to Carl, even if it means dying in the process."

꧁꧂

"I absolutely hate this." I exclaimed after spitting the substance that had been in my mouth out.

Alex had found some weird canned food in one of the houses we were in and wanted me to try it with him.

"I think it's good." He shrugged his shoulders. I told him that he could have it as I tried to spit every bit of it out. "More for me. Want to see what you can find upstairs?"