Chapter Twenty-Four🥀

Once we made it back to the prison, Alex only left my side to give Daryl my gun

Once we made it back to the prison, Alex only left my side to give Daryl my gun. He immediately came back to my side and wrapped his arm around me. He led me to the cell block, and stayed with me in my cell.

I can't say that I was saddened by Zack's death since I barely knew him. I was hurt for Beth since this was another boyfriend that she had lost. He was a funny guy from what I had seen and she seemed to really care for him.

The thing that bothered me most was that I had forgotten what the walkers could actually do. Being behind these fences for so long had soften me, I had been worried about the people we encountered rather than if I would be a walker's next meal.

Alex didn't say anything as he held me in his arms. I could feel that I was shaking a little and I tried to control it, but that only made it worse. I stared at the wall as his screams replayed in my head. I tried to find some imaginary solution that could've saved his life.

And then the thought occurred to me: If Zack hadn't of told me that he could move the shelf, then I would've been the one dead. The thought scared me, and I mentally slapped myself for being so selfish. I made it out. Zack died helping a member of our group. He died a noble death.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard footsteps approaching the doorway of my cell. Someone knocked on the outside wall and Alex answered them since I didn't even bother to look up to see who it was. The person pushed the blanket aside and Alex greeted them. "Hey man." He said, a sad pang in his voice. Alex and Zack has been friends ever since they had brought the boy in, so I could understand why he was upset.

"I heard what happened." I could hear Carl's voice speak to Alex. "I wanted to check on her."

"Uh, yeah. Sure." Alex sat up causing me to have to sit up off the wall for him to get up. He turned to me and gave me a concerned look. "Hey, Pebbles. I'm going to go see Olivia and Beth, okay?"

I slowly nodded at the blonde boy, who got up and pulled Carl outside the cell. I couldn't help but eavesdrop into their conversation since the only thing that separate us was a thin blanket, practically a sheet.

"Hey, um." Alex started awkwardly. "I know we aren't on really good terms. I can tell you don't want much to do with me, but I'm really worried about her. There were multiple close calls today and when she saw what happened to Zack, she froze. She's never done that on a run with me. If you could help her out, I'd really appreciate it. She's always been able to talk to you better anyway."

I could practically hear the small smile play into Alex's serious voice. "And I wanted to say that I'm sorry. Emily and I have already had many talks about it, but I've never apologized to you. I was a dumb kid, who happened to be jealous. So I'm sorry, Carl. Just watch after her, please."

I could hear footsteps getting further and further away until they were no longer in earshot. I looked up to see Carl pushed the blanket back and step into the cell. I gave him a small, sad smile. "He really means it, Blue Eyes." I whispered.