Chapter Twenty-Five🥀

Squish

Squish

Another walker fell to the ground because of me. As much as I hated fence duty, I had found out today that it was very good for taking out frustrations. I had been on the fence stabbing as many walkers as I could ever since Rick told Carl and the others that they had to stay away from us.

I had lost count of how many I had killed after thirty something. I just kept on and kept on. Despite the pain in my arms, I continued to on. I didn't stop until I heard Alex call my name. I turned to see him approaching me quickly.

"You need to stop." He instructed in a worried tone. I rolled my eyes and turned back to the walkers that were leaning on the fence in front of me. I started stabbing them again. "I'm being serious, Emily. You're going to end up hurting yourself."

I ignored him and continued what I was doing until he snatched the thing I was using to stab the walkers away from me and grabbed my arm making me face him.

My eyes met his green ones to see genuine worry and anger. "You can't keep doing this." He said, through clenched teeth.

He kept his eyes on mine, never breaking contact. So many emotions swept through them; worry, anger, fear. They seemed to express everything I was feeling at the moment.

Tears leaked from my eyes making themselves visible as they fell down my cheeks. Alex pulled me into his chest to hug him. He whispered to me, telling me that everything would be okay.

"I'm angry, Alex." I said, pulling away. "I thought things were getting better. We had lost so many people in this place, yet we built from those losses and now everything is falling apart. Everything we worked for is-"

I was interrupted by the walkers pushing on the fences more than usual. The fence began leaning towards us more than it should. I grabbed the stick I had been using to stab them from Alex's hands and told him to get the others.

I started stabbing them, hoping to push them back. Alex and Maggie came back with some of the others and they all began helping me with the walkers when Sasha called out, "Are you seeing this? Is someone feeding these things?"

I looked over to where she was pointing to see a bunch of half eaten rats. My eyes widened at the sight. Who in the hell would do such a thing?

The walkers started practically climbing on top of each other to get over the fence. We all tried pushing the fence back, watching to make sure our fingers didn't go into the dead beings' mouths. Rick told us to get back and we did as we were told. We watched as the walkers kept leaning on the fence.

Rick instructed Daryl to pull the truck around, and for me to follow him. I did as I was told and he led me to the pig pen. Daryl pulled the truck over next to the pen, and Rick told me to help put the pigs on the back on the truck. I didn't ask any questions as I did as told.