Chapter Forty-Five🥀

"I'll be back later, okay?" I called to my dad as I skipped down the stairs

It was the next morning and I was excited to explore Alexandria. Rick had told us that Deanna wanted us to explore and get familiar with the community, which wasn't a bad idea. I seemed to be the most excited with Alex a close second.

"Don't get into any trouble." He called gruffly watching me as I jumped off the last stair. "Don't break anything."

I turned back to him with a grin until Alex said, "She'd only end up breaking herself."

I scowled at the boy and rolled my eyes. "Just because I'm clumsy doesn't mean I can't beat you in a race." I challenged the boy with a smirk.

Alex turned to me with a matching smirk. "Are you challenging me, Dixon?"

"I'd say so, Reeves."

"Challenge each other all you want. You're both losers." Olivia said before taking off down the road.

Alex and I looked at each other with an amused look before running after her as fast as we could. At the end of the road, I stopped quickly and looked back to Carl who was with the others and pushing Judith in a stroller.

"Go ahead." He said, waving his hand in the air. A smile on his face. "I'll catch up."

I gave him a smile before running after the couple again. Pushing my legs to the point of burning, I caught up with Alex and soon enough Olivia. The girl had began to slow down as she heaved for air. I turned to jog backwards with a laugh until I bumped into someone and fell on my bottom.

I groaned as I scraped the palms of my hand on the concrete before looking to see who I had bumped into. It was the girl from the burnt down house outside the walls. She was a resident here?

"Oh, I'm sorry. I should've been looking at where I was going." I apologized to the girl, who looked over at me with a cold stare.

Her plump lips stayed shut as she stood and placed her hand out in front of me. I softly took it and she pulled me up before allowing her hand to release mine. I gave her a small smile and blushed in embarrassment. My first day here and my clumsiness had already kicked in.

"I'm Emily." I told her, feeling a bit insecure as her hazel eyes glanced over me. She didn't seem as open as the rest of the people in the community had seemed. I could tell by how her eyes quickly glanced between the three of us, she had been outside for a long time. "I'm sorry again for bumping into you. We're so used to running, I guess we got a tad bit rowdy."

After a moment, she quietly introduced herself. "Enid."

"Enid." I gave her a genuine smile. "That's a really pretty name. I've never heard it before." I noticed her eyes land back on my friends who stood behind me. I turned to see Alex and Olivia watching the girl as cautiously as she was us.