Chapter Forty-Two🥀

Being on the road again felt familiar

Being on the road again felt familiar. Though our trip would be a short one, the rocking of the rv welcomed me with warm arms as I sat on the floor between the driver and passenger seat. Abraham and my dad didn't seem to care as they focused on the road. I watched the red taillights of the car that Rick drove ahead of us.

Before we had left the barn, Rick had decided it would be best if he, Glenn, and Michonne rode in the car with Aaron while the rest of us piled up in the rv. I glanced back every now and then to see Carl holding Judith close. At one point, he had tried to feed her some apple sauce only for Abraham to hit a bump and cause him to get the squishy substance on his shirt.

There were a few conversations here and there. By now Noah had found his place with our group, and by group I mean us teenagers. He had assumed almost the same role as Beth given that he was older as she had been. He had promised that when we had time he would teach us some card games, poker being the bigger one that he would teach.

I sighed leaning my head on the arm of my dad's seat. He glanced down at me with a small smirk before he ruffled my hair a bit with his fingers. I allowed it, being too tired to argue with him on it. He began to move his fingers through my hair as he listened to the small conversations behind us.

I closed my eyes and fell into the rare moment of affection from my dad. We stayed that way until he stopped moving his fingers through my hair and muttered under his breath, "What the hell?"

I opened my eyes just as Abraham slammed on the brakes. My dad's arm thrusted itself in front of me, stopping my forehead from slamming into the radio. I could hear Judith begin to cry as a few of the others asked what was happening. I began to get on my knees to see over the dash when my dad placed his hand on my shoulder.

"Stay down." He ordered before looking over to Abraham. "Do you see them?"

"I can't see anything. I have to back up or something." Abraham said, moving his head to look around the rv. The rv began to move backwards, hitting a few bumps as it did so.

"We can't just leave them." My dad exclaimed in a gruff voice.

"I can't even see them anymore!" Abraham argued as he backed us up. "They're taillights are gone!"

As they continued to argue a red flare filled the air to the west of us. My eyes widened as I called out for my dad softly. He didn't hear me as he continued to the argue with the man next to me. I hit his hand that he still had on my shoulder and pointed out the window, "Dad, look! Rick has the flare gun that Aaron had in his bag! That could be them!"

"Or it could be the other person that was with Aaron." Maggie said, coming to stand behind me as the two men looked at the red dot in the sky.

"It's worth a try." I told them. "Rick could think the same thing we're thinking. If we head there, Rick will go there too!"