Chapter Thirty-Four🥀

"What does this mean, Carl?" I asked, in a low voice.

His hand was secured protectively on my lower back as we stood together staring at the marks on the side of the church. "I don't know, love, but whatever it is, we'll handle it." He stated, placing a firm kiss on my temple.

"Hey." A familiar voice called to us. I turned to see Rick Grimes, himself, walking over to us. Tyreese told me you two were out back. Come on in. We found food. A lot of it."

"That's great, Rick." I stated, a small waver in my tone. Rick quickly took notice and furrowed his eyebrows at his son and I.

"What's wrong?"

Carl removed his hand from my back causing a wave of coolness to cause me to shiver from the absence. He pointed up to the windowsill of the church, showing the marks to his father. "Those scratches. They're deep, like knives or something."

"Someone was trying to break in, Rick." I continued for Carl, who returned his hand to its previous position. My fingers seemed to fiddled as my nerves flared up.

"Alex and I found something else while we were walking around earlier." Carl says, leading us to another area of the church's exterior. "I don't know what happened, but whatever it is, we can handle it. Doesn't mean Gabriel is a bad guy for sure, but it means something." He points up to the phrase carved into the church walls.

You'll burn for this.

I turn my head away from the church, the words etched into my brain already. From the corner of my eye, I see Rick give his son a proud nod, but the look on his face was serious. "We will."

Soon he led us back inside the church. The adults had begun to set up a feast, so Carl and I made our way over to Olivia and Alex. I plopped down across from Alex, whose green eyes seemed to be searching me.

"What?" I asked, rubbing a hand down my face.

"Your anxiety is flaring up." He stated, his arm secured around Olivia's shoulder.

"That is kinda what happens when you're already suspicious of someone and then find a death threat carved into their home, babe." Olivia sarcastically said, throwing her boyfriend's arm off of her and holding her hands out to me.

I crawled over and sat between her legs as she stroked my hair. This was one of the comforting things I loved about my friendship with Olivia and Beth. There was no thing as personal space with the two of them, which was sometimes a bad thing.

"I'm right next to her. Completely capable of comforting her. And she chooses your girlfriend. How does that make sense?" Carl rhetorically asks Alex.

"That's okay. You can comfort me, teddy bear." The blonde playfully stated, trying to crawl into Carl's lap, but was shoved backwards.

Alex lands on his bottom as Carl mutters something about preferring to comfort a walker. Olivia places a hand on her boyfriend's face, so I crawl over to mine and sit between his legs like I did Olivia. I placed a kiss to his lips and whisper, "You're my favorite person to be comforted by, love."

Carl's cheeks turn red as a smile falls on his lips. "You heard that?"

"Yeah, and I like it." I stated, earning another kiss.

"I think I liked them better when they were avoiding each other for months on end." Alex grumbles, a playful look of disgust on his face.

Olivia cocks an eyebrow at him. "Oh really? So you miss Emily's constant rambles and rants about Carl ignoring her?"