Chapter Thirty-Five🥀

Later in the night, I had made a place to sleep on the floor

Later in the night, I had made a place to sleep on the floor. It wasn't much, just a simple blanket I had found in the storage closet of the church that Gabriel had allowed me to use. As I laid my aching body down on the cold floor, which I could feel through the thin blanket, Carl walked over.

"Comfortable?" He asked, a smirk secured on his face as he sat down next to me.

"Oh, yeah. Definitely. I enjoy feeling the hard, cold wooden floor on my aching back." I sarcastically stated, giving him an eye roll.

He gave me one back before sitting down next to me and pulling my body closer to him. "Here." He stated, placing his hand on my back as I laid halfway across his lap. He began to rub up and down my back, massaging in the places that were the most sore.

I sighed at the feeling of comfort. For a moment, I was at peace, but my mind began to wander and finally landed on yet another worry. "My dad and Carol haven't come back yet." I whispered.

Carl seemed to have heard me because he stopped for a second. His hand found my hair instead. He knew that when I was worried, playing with my hair might distract me. Unfortunately, now wasn't one of those times.

I sat up and turned my head to look at him over my shoulder. "I'm worried, Carl. Something doesn't feel right."

Before Carl could say anything to give me comfort, the doors opened to reveal Sasha, Tyreese, and Rick. I stood in confusion as Sasha walked directly towards Gabriel, who was by himself at the alter.

"Stop. What are you doing?" She asked. When he didn't respond, looking as confused as I felt, she raised her voice at him. "What are you doing? This is all connected. You show up, we're being watched, and now three of us are gone."

I glanced around the room to see who else was missing only to realize that Bob was nowhere to be seen. No wonder Sasha was so angry.

"I... I don't... I don't have anything to do with this. Wait!" The man stuttered before putting his hand up as the woman drew her weapon.

Usually I would try to stop a situation like this from occurring or step into it, but I stayed in my spot. Carl came up behind me, hand hovering over my own. Rosita and Tyreese tried to get the woman to put her weapon away, but to no avail.

"Who's out there?" She asked.

"I-- I don't have anything... to do with this." He repeated, almost shaking in his shoes.

"Where are our people?" She questioned again. Before he could fully answered with the same words she interrupted him. "Where are our people?!"

"Please, I don't have anything to do with this. I--" Gabriel begged.

"Why'd you bring us here? You working with someone?" She continued.

"I'm alone. I'm alone. I was always alone." Gabriel exclaimed.