Chapter Five🥀

Now that I knew why Rick really brought me along to clear out the prison, I had a better understanding of Rick altogether

Now that I knew why Rick really brought me along to clear out the prison, I had a better understanding of Rick altogether. But the question still burned in my mind. Who asked for me to be brought along as long as they knew I would be okay? 

Of course, it could be anyone, but it was going to aggravate me until I knew. I felt as though maybe it could've been Maggie because she had asked me to stay close to her as we went into the tombs. And that is why I was with her and Glenn now, separated from the rest of the group.

"Maggie, what do we do?" I whispered, panicked. Walkers had filled the tombs to where the only escape was turning around, but somehow we had managed to take a wrong turn and get separated from the others. We were hiding in a closet, and to say I was worried was an understatement. Normally I wouldn't be so worried about being separated from the group during a walker attack, but that was when we were outside not jammed into small dark hallways that could have anything looming around each turn. to make it worse, the smell was the horrific smell that bounced off the deceased bodies and through the halls.

Maggie hushed me and pulled me close to her. I just sighed and held my gun, so I could be ready for anything. When Glenn thought it was safe, he opened the door and scanned the hallway. We roamed the dark hallways, whisper yelling for Rick, Daryl, or the others. Only once did we spook each other, and that was when Maggie accidentally backed up into Glenn, gasping in surprise. We suddenly heard a painful yell that sounded awfully like Hershel. We ran towards the sound. As we rounded the corner, we saw Hershel's lower leg being bitten by a walker sitting against the wall.

Maggie cried out for her father's sake as Rick shot the walker in the head. We ran to Hershel's side. You could begin to hear the walkers getting closer, their groans echoing through the halls. Panic filled my chest and I felt as though I couldn't breathe. I tried to calm myself down as I helped Maggie stay standing. I focused on keeping her moving as Glenn and Rick held Hershel up. We needed to get him somewhere safe if we were going to try to help him. Daryl shot down a couple of walkers and led us all through the halls. 

Maggie and I held hands as we stayed behind her father and his supporters. T-Dog brought up the rear to make sure we stayed safe and didn't get left behind again. We found a set of double doors that were chained shut. It was our only hope because we were blocked by walkers. T came to the front and broke the chains before busting the door open, allowing us all in. It looked almost like a cafeteria, but I didn't take much time to inspect the room. 

I let go of Maggie's hand and slid to my knees beside Hershel. I helped pull his pants leg up to inspect the bite. I could only think of one thing that might save the old man. Rick seemed to have the same idea as he began to take his belt off, looking me dead in the eye. We were going to have to amputate it. I held down Hershel's other leg as he was writhing in pain. I avoided looking over to Maggie, who I knew was holding her father and crying. Instead, I focused on Rick as he wrapped the belt around Hershel's injured leg.