Chapter Fifteen🥀

"Are you ready?" Glenn asked me as he helped me place the last bag from my cell into the trunk of the car

"Are you ready?" Glenn asked me as he helped me place the last bag from my cell into the trunk of the car. He dusted his hands off after the bag was placed safely inside. I looked up at him and the glanced around at our group. These people were more than just strangers I met during the end of the world. They were family now, and we could lose some of our family today.

My blue eyes lingered on Carl a little longer than needed. He was angry. With Rick, with me, with the world. I could see it every time he looked my way and the scowl crossed his face. I could see it in the way he placed his bags down and walked away.

Pulling my attention away from the boy my feelings had grown for, I directed my eyes back to Glenn. "I'm ready as I'll ever be. I'm just worried, ya know?"

Glenn threw his arm around me in a comforting way. "I understand, but we'll be fine." He stated, leading me over to Maggie. Instead of going with Carl, Beth, and Hershel to safety, I was sticking with Maggie and Glenn to take some control here. Rick asked Daryl's permission before giving me the 'okay', but in the end Daryl knew I could handle it. "And you will perfectly fine as long as you stick with us."

Maggie heard what Glenn had to say and gave me a comforting hug. "He's right. We won't let anything happen to you." She said, releasing me from her hug and grabbing her things. "Better hurry. We're about to start."

"I'm going to go say bye to Daryl and Carl before we do. I'll be right back." I gave them a small smile before running over to Daryl. Carol was with him near the motorcycle. As I approached them, Carol helped him off the ground. "Hey." I greeted them.

"Hey, squirt." Daryl greeted me in his rugged voice. He rubbed my head, messing up my hair that I had pulled into a high ponytail. Carol grinned at the interaction.

"I just wanted to tell you two to be careful." I stated, pulling my jacket closer to my body. I admit that I felt awkward, but I didn't really know what to say. After Daryl got back from finding Merle, we didn't speak. Merle had died out there, which gave us this chance to protect ourselves. I still didn't know how he felt about what I said before he left.

"Don't worry about us, Squirt. We should worry about you. Ya sure you don't want to go with Hershel and them?" He asked, staring me in the eye. One thing I noticed about Daryl is that he had a subtle way of showing that he cared, and this is one way.

I nodded my head. "I'm sure. I want to fight. Not just for us, but for everyone we lost."

Carol stepped forward and gave me a quick hug. "Just be careful." She then whispered in my ear, "Sophia would be proud of you." When she pulled away, I could see the seriousness that displayed in her eyes. It felt like my heart skipped a beat when she said that. I gave her small smile which she returned.

"Just stay close to Maggie and Glenn. Make sure to watch ya back." Daryl instructed. I gave him a quick nod before walking away to find Carl. I didn't see him anywhere outside, so I walked into the cell block to see if he went back to our cell. I quickly made my way inside hoping to find him.