Chapter Eighteen🥀

As time progressed, the people of Woodbury seemed to help the prison grow

As time progressed, the people of Woodbury seemed to help the prison grow. Rick stepped down from leadership to raise Carl and Judith. Instead, a counsel was formed and they made decisions for us based on a vote amongst themselves.

Over time, we began to take in more strangers that we found. Though, they had to pass our test first, which was made up of three simple questions:

One, how many walkers have you killed?
Two, how many people have you killed?
And three, why?

It was good to be able to bring more people in. Everyone had their own jobs to do in order for our little community to work. I stuck to my usual jobs. I helped anywhere from cooking to helping with Judith to taking down walkers at the fences. Recently, Daryl decided I could start going on runs with some of the group. I didn't complain at all. I enjoyed the tiny taste of freedom that I got being outside of the prison, and it helped keep my skills sharp.

Everything seemed to be looking up for the group. I couldn't imagine a time we were happier since this whole thing started. The only thing missing for me though was Carl. We still hadn't made up. It wasn't as though we intentionally avoided each other. We still ate in the same room across from each other. I stole glances at him throughout the day, and sometimes caught him staring at me. Whenever this happened, I would look away blushing.

When I wasn't doing anything, Alexander, Olivia, and Beth kept me busy. We mostly hung out or did crazy things to keep ourselves occupied. Beth and Olivia became my two best girl friends. We talked as much as we could when Alexander was around.

Speaking of the blonde, he really had changed from the awful boy he used to be. He was a very helpful member of the group and would go on runs when I did. When Daryl noticed how much time Alexander and I spent together, he got suspicious, but kind of took him under his wing when I told him that my feelings for Alex were strictly platonic. Alexander became the person I ranted to whenever I was frustrated.

He quite enjoyed listening to me rant about Carl when I finally decided to open up after the first few weeks of him being here. He would always question why me and "lover boy" weren't on speaking terms, and one day I just snapped. He would agree with me on some things, disagree on others, and then give me "advice." Which mostly meant, in his words, to run up to Carl and kiss him then slap him for being a douche.

The blue eyed boy hadn't spoken to Alex since he had gotten here. I had noticed that he had taken a Woodbury boy named Patrick under his wing after his anger about them moving here settled down. Whenever Alexander, Olivia, and I would sit in the courtyard talking, Patrick would try to pull Carl over to speak by to us, but he always refused. I knew it was my fault.

Patrick was a decent kid, though but of a nerd. After a few days I learned that he was actually Olivia's twin brother. He'd often try to keep a conversation with us, but Olivia did not want her brother around twenty-four/seven, so he'd find Carl when the boy wasn't busy with Rick.