Chapter Three🥀

"Excuse me? Did I hear you clearly? You want me to go in there with you?" I asked, surprised

"Excuse me? Did I hear you clearly? You want me to go in there with you?" I asked, surprised. Rick simply nodded at me before looking over my shoulder. I turned my head to see Carl had woken up and was walking over to us. I looked back to Rick, "You know if I say yes, then he's going to be angry."

"I know that's why I wanted to ask you before he woke up." He answered, looking to see how close Carl was.

"Who all is going?" I asked, placing my hand on my hip.

"Daryl, T, Maggie, Glenn, and I." He glanced passed me once more, then whispered, "You've got twenty minutes if you want to do this." Rick walked away just as Carl had come up behind me.

"Hey. What was that about?" Carl asked, smiling at me. I placed my hands in my pockets. I was nervous about lying to him, and when I'm nervous I play with my fingers.

"Oh, nothing. He just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting sick again. Apparently, he could hear me wheezing last night."

"Are you okay? Do we need to get Hershel to check you out?" He started panicking. I chuckled at him and pinched his chubby cheeks.

"No, silly. I'm fine," I stated, "but I do have to get back to your mom. I haven't seen her all morning and I need to check on her."

His expression turned a little cold as I mentioned his mom. The two weren't exactly on good terms since Carl found out about Shane. I didn't know if he knew about his mom's affair, but with the way he acted he must know something. Carl was smarter than people thought. They just never gave him a chance to prove it.

Just like how Rick asked me to go today instead of Carl. He knows Carl could handle it, but he didn't want to put his own son in danger. I know he thought of me as family, but the truth is that I'm not his flesh and blood. I understood that Rick cared for me like a daughter, but I'm not. I'm just an orphan now, who is trusting her best friend's parents to be here for her.

"I can tell her you said hey, if you want." I suggested. I knew he wanted to talk to his mom, but after everything that happened he just needed time.

He nodded with a small frown. I smiled, "Alright. Well I will see you later then. Try to stay out of trouble."

"Keyword: try." He smirked at me, but I simply rolled my eyes then walked away.

Though I told Carl that I was going to find Lori, I slowly made my way over to one of the guard towers that overviews the outside of the fences. I could see Rick at the top looking at the prison through binoculars.

Should I do it? What if something goes wrong and they need me? Oh who am I kidding?! I'm just thirteen year old girl who couldn't possibly do much. My thoughts spiralled out of control. I was so afraid of messing up or being in the way. I was questioning my own abilities.

As I climbed the stairs, I looked upward to the flight in front of me. There stood my mom in a long white dress. She smiled at me before mouthing, "Do it." After I registered what she said, she vanished into thin air.