《Chapter 16.2》Worried

Okay, the chapter was getting too long so I'm splitting it.

----
Rachel POV*

The next day I was determined to get an answer. Last night Adam tried to explain what exactly was going on between the two of them, but I never got a straight answer. Telling me it didn't concern me. It was obvious there was something more happening between them.

I walked into the school, it was still pretty empty. When I looked around I spotted Nathan sitting alone at a table, I decided if Adam doesn't tell me, I might as well try him.

I walk over to him and throw my bag on the table, he looks up from his phone, surprised by my sudden appearance. He regains his balance and puts away his phone. "What do you want?" he asked, slightly irritated.

"Why would I want anything?" I ask innocently. "Why else would you sit next to me" he answered seriously. "I know you like me."
I shrugged as I sit down next to him "Fair enough" I shrug.

"so tell me. What is going on between you and Adan?" I ask, looking him in the eyes. He lets out a big sigh as he started in front of him, before turning his head back to me. "you know, it really has nothing to do with you." he answers.

"It does, he's my best friend." I defend, he didn't seem impressed by this. "well if he's your best friend, go ask him" he shot back. "If he wants to tell you, that is. But I thought he already explained." I looked at him, slightly getting angry.

"He didn't, he said it wasn't important to me..." I said, looking into my lap. "Well then. I guess I shouldn't tell you then either," he said before he got up and tried to walk off, but I pulled him back. "Tell me anyway," I said firmly.

He let out a sigh as I let go of his arm. "Why do you want to know so badly!" he asked defeated. Because he's my friend and I know him. "Because I'm worried about him," I said back. "and he won't speak to me."

I've seen the situation happen to him before. Last time it didn't end well at all. I'm just trying to make sure he won't get his heartbroken again.

"Come on, just tell me already..." I pushed. He tried to get up again, but I again force him back into his seat. "can you stop doing that?" he said frustrated. "Only if you just explain."

"No." I let go. "You aren't forcing him, are you!" I finally snap. I don't know why I said that but needed him to tell me somehow.
"Whoa? What?!" he asked offended. "Why else would he do that with you." by now I had figured out what I walked in on was about to be a kiss. "Are you serious right now!" He yelled, start g to get really angry. "Why the hell would I do that!?"

"I don't know," I say looking away. I shouldn't have said that... "It's not that, okay?" he said irritated as he looked away from the table. "Then what is it?!" I almost pleaded. He let out a long sigh, looking at me again. "well..." I asked impatiently. "tell m-."

"We're dating, okay?" He blurted out before I could push even more. That exactly what I was afraid of. "What?" I said as I got up. "what's going on?" suddenly I notice Adam had arrived and was staring at both of us, confused. I quickly grab my bag and runoff.

---

This is exactly what I was afraid of. This is exactly what happened last time. I guess I shoudk=e seen this coming. I mean, he told me he liked someone, I just didn't expect this to happen.

I walked around the school, just thinking about how I didn't see this coming. This is why he left without me every day. Why he was almost always on his phone when we were hanging out.

After more walking, I heard the sound of the bell and decided to slowly make my way over to class. When I got in I saw Adam in his seat and decided to sit down somewhere else for now.

The class went by faster than normal, and after it was over I left the room and went straight home.

---

I sat down at my desk after finishing my homework. I decided to be angry wasn't gonna do anything, they were already together, the best I could do was support it, hoping this time would be different. So I got up and made my way across the street.

I reached his house and knocked on the door, but again, instead of him, his mother opened the door for me. "Rachel! Hey." she greeted. "Come in." I smiled and stepped in, I took off my shoes as she talked to me. "I'm guessing you're here for Adam?" he smiled.

I nodded as I got up from the floor. "He's upstairs, you know the way," she said as she turned back into the living room. "Oh but, he does have someone else over," she added before disappearing. That could only be one person.

And I was right. Just like last time, as soon I open the door they were about to make out. "are you kidding me?" I sigh. I turn around and walk back downstairs. I lazily put on my shoes and start walking back home. I'll talk about him later.

"Hey! Wait!" Adam yelled as he walked after me. "what!" I ask irritated as I turn around to look at him. "There's something I need to tell you," he said nervously. Seriously, he's going to tell me now? "Nathan and I, we're dating," he said.

I already knew, but I was happy he told me himself as well. "Yeah, I know" I sigh. He looks down defeated, "It's fine, I'm not angry." I reassured him. Even though I still felt a bit angry but that had nothing to do with him.

"Then what was with that reaction?" he asked, referring to me storming off multiple times. "Well, I wasn't really expecting to find out the way did" I explained. "I'm sorry" he blushed. "It won't happen again." he smiled. I nodded and pulled him into a hug. We went back upstairs, but I didn't stay very long. I both wanted to get out of there and give them privacy.

---

Later that day, I saw Nathan finally leave and decided to go back to talk to Adam some more. I didn't really think it would be right to do so earlier. So I went back to his house.

When I walked into his room he was sitting on his bed. He had pulled out his phone and was probably chatting with, well you know. He looked up when he noticed me coming in.

"Oh, hey," he said sitting up. "Hi" I awkwardly waved. I walked over and sat down on his bed. "what's up?" he asked, slightly confused. "Nothing I just- I wanted to talk to you. Alone." I answered.

"Okay?" he answered, looking even more confused. "Are you sure this is a good idea?" I'm asked, referring to his relationship. "what do you mean?" he asked, knowing what I meant.

"I mean- you remember what happened last time?" I started. He looked away from me. "This won't be like last time." he defended not looking at me. "You don't know that," I said calmly, not wanting to upset him.

"trust me," he said, finally looking at me. "I trust you," I say back. "It's him I'm worried about," I say back honestly. "Well you shouldn't you can trust him too," He said, raising his voice slightly. "How can you say that for sure, you guys met just a week ago!" I say, getting irritated myself.

He was quiet for a bit, just looking at the ground before I continued, "Listen, I just want you to be careful." Reaching out to touch his shoulder. "You fall really easily, and I don't want it to be like with Je-"

"Don't say his name" he snapped as he stood up abruptly. I pull my hand back, shocked by his sudden outburst. "I already told you," he said as he turned to look at me. I could see tears threatening to form. "It won't be like that," he said looking down. stood up and pulled him into a hug.

"I hope you're right". I say as I feel him hugging back.

----