The Moment When Our Faces Meet...The Grass

Chapter 19-

"I'm torn, Miu-san."

      "Why?"

      Masami stretched her legs out in front of her as they sat on a bench on the school rooftop. She was careful not to overexert her bandaged ankle, being as she did injure herself. Nozomi sat next to her, her posture polite with her hands neatly folded on her skirt.

      "Our volleyball team is headed for the tournament in three weeks, and I'm kinda torn on whether or not I should watch. The president recommended it. And someone else also asked me to watch..."

      Nozomi's hands grasped her skirt, crinkling the fabric. "You should."

      Masami blinked at her. "I should?"

     "I—I mean," The third-year gulped, "Can you? Please?"

       Nozomi wasn't one to ask for favors. She never once in her life bothered to ask any. However, she couldn't be there for Oikawa. She couldn't watch him play the sport he held most dear to him—the one thing he held most dear to him more than anything else. She wanted to watch him play, but she wasn't able to do so. It irritated her.

      The secretary sighed, blowing a strand of hair out of her face. "You got someone on the volleyball team you want me to watch?"

      Nozomi whirled her head around, gawking at the younger girl next to her.

      "Y-Yes."

      "Give me the name."

      The grey-haired girl huffed. "Oikawa Tooru."

      And at that, Masami paused, blinking. "Wow—I, Miu-san—I didn't think you were one fancy pretty boys. Especially athletes." She smirked at her. Nozomi was baffled.

      "W-What—fancy!" Nozomi retorted, startling Masami, who frowned at her.

      "How—why—I don't fancy him, where in the world did you get that idea!" A blush tinted the third-year's features. Masami sweat-dropped.

      "Woah, woah, Calm down, would ya? Now that's a first." The auburn remarked.

      Nozomi cleared her throat, shyly straightening herself up back into her previous posture. "Sorry."

       Masami scoffed. "It's alright. It's weird to see you all temperamental, though." She laughed. Nozomi glared at her.

      "Yeah, whatever. And just so you know, Oikawa Tooru is my friend. Such feelings as fancying someone has never come across me." It was true. Nozomi did not indeed remember a time when she held romantic feelings towards anyone. And she also despised romance books in general. It didn't mean she's never read any romance books before though.

      Masami gawked. "You're friends with Oikawa Tooru?"

      "...Yes?"

      Masami studied her, squinting her eyes. Nozomi cocked her head.

      "What?"

      "I'm just surprised. You don't seem to be lying."

      "Do you take me for a liar?"

       "What, no! Sorry—it's just that—I mean, really?"

      "Yeah. What's the big deal?" Nozomi asked, raising a brow. She understood that Oikawa was popular among the girls of Aoba Johsai, which, to be honest she didn't really understand why, exactly.