In Which Hanako Notices Change

A.N: still sobbing over haikyuu chapter 401.

Disclaimer: I don't own Haikyuu. Haruichi Furudate owns Haikyuu. I only own the few characters I have created for this story.
————————————————————
Chapter 6-

      Hanako wasn't dumb. Yes, sometimes she could be lazy, aloof, and carefree, but she certainly wasn't dumb. So the moment Nozomi came home, she knew something was different.

One Friday night, Hanako had asked Nozomi to get her snacks from the convenience store. She could see the the annoyance bright and clear as day in Nozomi's eyes—even if it was extremely slight. But she also knew Nozomi's weakness to obey. It was a dangerous weakness—especially for Nozomi herself. So she wasn't surprised when Nozomi had accepted without giving a second word.

About an hour later, Hanako had begun to feel hungry. Then, something clicked in her mind—Nozomi.

As much as she hated to admit it, she had forgotten about her. She had forgotten about the fact that she herself had asked her to buy her snacks from the convenience store.

'It's not my fault I forgot about her. I had work to do.' Hanako thought, reassuring herself. She checked the time, her eyes widening.

'Why is she out for so long? Did something happen?' And at that moment—Hanako felt a foreign feeling stir up inside of her stomach. A feeling that she had never felt before, especially about Nozomi.

Then again, Nozomi was incredibly responsible. She could take care of herself.

      Then again, she was still a high school student. That fact worried Hanako more than anything. Before Hanako could jump to any more conclusions, the door hurled open, startling Hanako. She didn't even have time to process what was going on—it was all amazingly fast. Nozomi had marched into the house, literally. She threw a grocery bag onto the table next to the couch, where Hanako was sitting before storming upstairs. Hanako heard a slight bam.

Hanako didn't even think of asking if she was alright. She was focused of Nozomi's face expression as she marched past her—a face expression Hanako had never seen on her before. Disoriented, baffled, but—satisfied? Hanako didn't even know.

Nozomi was usually calm, emotionless, and overall stable. Or maybe that was what she appeared to be on the outside. On the inside, Hanako couldn't even begin to think what may occur inside of her head.

Maybe she should have thanked Nozomi. Maybe she should have asked what was wrong. But nothing seemed to come out, the questions dying on her lips before she could ask them. So, for the rest of the night, Hanako had pretended not to notice Nozomi's odd change of behavior.

      That is, until one week later.

      It was a Friday, like the Friday Hanako had noticed change in Nozomi. For the past week, Hanako had been discreetly observing Nozomi. She noticed that she had something going on in her mind—something that really bugged Nozomi.

      And as for her off-behavior to last for a week, it must have been something really bad.

      Hanako thought that maybe someone tried to harass her when she was out. That thought made Hanako's stomach knot up. However, knowing Nozomi; she would probably have a different after-effect attitude about it. If she really was harassed by someone—she would probably act paranoid, or more quiet than usual. But no, Nozomi seemed to be having a mental breakdown inside of her head.

      On that Friday, Nozomi had barged inside, and stormed upstairs like she had done for the past week. Hanako had pretended not to notice, but in reality—she did. She figured that maybe this was just a teenage phase—Nozomi's rebellious stage. So, Hanako decided that she was simply overreacting—that Nozomi was doing just fine.