Chapter 14: Questions and Answers

A/N: Please see the photo attached for a better visual of the cliffside stairs :)

Xoxo, Undaunted

______________________________________________________________________

Chapter 14: Questions and Answers

River

We return to the village, disheveled and bloodied. As simple as it was for us to tear that small pack apart, they still had claws and teeth on them.

I return with my father behind me, along with Drake and Tyler.

"Jared's got the live one secured, Alpha." Drake says to me, and I nod.

"Good, I'll be around later to talk with him." I say, feeling my jaw flex at the thought of prying information out of him. I have so many questions, and this lone captor may be one of the only things that could lead me to answers. 

When we arrive in the main square, a small crowd has gathered. No doubt from the call they heard not long ago. They've likely assembled here to seek comfort in numbers, and to trade information on what possibly could have happened.

Right now my people need me to be strong for them, to ensure that we won't be put in any danger by this rival pack.

The hum of chatter eases off to nothing as eyes land on me, waiting for me to say something.

"I am sure you're wondering what's happened." I say to them, scanning the many confused and concerned faces in the crowd before me. "We've lost one of our own in an ambush that took place in the eastern woods." I say, not leaving any room for sugar coating.

A sudden clamour of surprise breaks out among them, whispering in hushed voices.

"Who attacked us?" someone yells out to me.

"Another pack—one we are not familiar with. One that we have never encountered before." I say, feeling the frustration of this fact boiling over inside me. "They came up the river to avoid detection. We still have yet to find out how they knew we'd be there—only a small group of us, unsuspecting and without our strongest fighters, faced them down." I swallow, picturing Lucas's face.

The kid was never a warrior—he just wanted to be like his dad, work with his hands and make things for a living. "We have taken one of their own into our custody for questioning. Believe me, we will find out how they got across our lines and knew where we would be most vulnerable." I say this with fiery conviction; I truly mean it. "They will pay for the life they took."

Out of the crowd, someone steps forward. I look over to see Kathleen Peterson, and Erica not far behind her. Then to my surprise, I see Holly standing next to Erica, her eyes locked on me.

"W-Where is Lucas? He was with you today, helping with that tree...Why isn't he with you?" Mrs. Peterson comes towards us, and my father steps forward as she reaches out for him, in need of a steadying hand as she starts to piece things together.

"Kathy..." he doesn't finish his sentence, unsure of how to phrase the tragic news properly. "Kathy I am so sorry." Is all he manages to come up with.

Kathleen begins to shake, her whole body. Her face so grief-stricken I can hardly stand to look at it. Erica too has her hands clasped over her mouth in quiet horror as she realizes her brother was killed.

"No, no, no, no...This is not possible, he was only supposed to be there to help! He wasn't there to fight!" she cries, sinking against my dad, still shaking.