Chapter 36: Fight

Holly

I feel a flicker of something begin to stir inside me. I don't know how to describe it other than it feels like a stream of heat blooming in my chest. I feel the heat begin to grow, stronger and stronger, until it feels almost white-hot. If I wasn't already in pain, I think this would hurt too, just in a different way. As much as there's pain, there's also a type of pleasure or relief that comes with it.

Suddenly, I feel my breathing begin to level out...normalizing?

This isn't possible, I should be nearly dead now, even if Kyra has backed off. Why do I feel better?

I feel the energy returning to my body, the sharp throbbing in my head having eased off to a dull groan. I steadily become more aware of my environment once again. I can feel the damp morning grass underneath my body, pressing against my cheek. I can smell the crisp ocean air...but it takes only a moment before I'm overwhelmed by the smell of blood—my own, of course.

I finally find the effort to open my eyes, the action feeling slightly easier with each passing moment. I can make out the blurry shape of Kyra still in her wolf form.

She stands about five feet from me, her muzzle completely rust-stained with my blood, her eyes set on me. I meet her gaze, and I swear, she pulls her muzzle back into that of a wolfish smirk.

Kyra's big head swivels around in the direction I know River is standing. I can't make him out quite yet, but my vision is improving by the second.

With focus and effort, I'm able to distinguish his face amongst his family members, his eyes focused solely on me.

"C'mon baby, c'mon." his urgent whisper reaches my ears, and I feel my heart tug at the sound. "You gotta get up, Holls. You gotta get up." His pleading tone yanks at my connection to him again, and I feel my wolf begin to stir.

A renewed sense of determination fills me, and the white-hot pain just intensifies until it's like a firework going off inside me. There's heat and pain and relief everywhere all at once, too much to contain, too much to comprehend.

I feel my body begin to quiver and spasm without my control, the stream of fire running down all my extremities, down my spine, right up to the top of my head.

I don't know how it happens, exactly, but I am suddenly mind-linked to Kyra. I can see and hear and feel what she is feeling. I can see River standing across from her, gathered with his family around him, his expression contorted into nothing short of devastation.

I feel pride and triumph from her; she thinks she's won.

Not long for this world now, are you, little Holly?

Her inner monologue echoes in my mind and I want to tear her tail off.

I'll be named victor, and once I opt to 'exile' her, I'll secure my rightful spot in the pack.

The mental image of Kyra sinking her teeth into me, this time from her perspective, flashes through my mind. She's imagining exactly how to end me.

So I was right: she never intended to even let me live, let alone actually win. She decided long ago that this combat challenge would be my demise.

Without any warning, my body seems to jolt back awake, and I find my legs underneath me and stand.

I lift my head slowly, the dull pain still persisting, but far better than it was. I feel my lungs expand wonderfully as they take in their first proper breath of air in several minutes. The air tastes sweeter to me now.