Chapter 37: Reaching Out

Holly

Cheers and clapping erupt from all around us, followed by several howls. I catch the eyes of a few people among the crowds: Desiree, River's family, Kathleen and Erica, Tyler. It feels so strange to know that I'm leading them now—as much as they are friends and acquaintances, they're also my responsibility. Their safety and wellbeing are in my hands.

I look to River to find his eyes already locked on me. I laugh in spite of myself, feeling as if this moment is too good to be true. Only a few short hours ago, this point in time, right here, was my biggest worry.

"Kyra Klassen, as we saw," Vivian begins, settling the crowd once more. "Has been exiled." Vivian finishes.

I feel my stomach sink as this truth hits me again, recalling all I came to learn about Kyra in those few seconds.

"It was her choice to leave." I say to Vivian, wanting to get the facts straight. "I was prepared to have her stay, I would have chosen that...But she asked to leave, instead. So I allowed it."

Vivian nods thoughtfully before putting a hand on my arm, patting it gently. "That is a kindness she did not deserve, Luna." She says to me. "A life within the Shadows would have meant she'd have to live with the social consequences of this challenge every day—you've given her the opportunity to forge a new life without that."

I swallow hard, remembering all the sorrow-filled memories and details of Kyra's life I was able to witness through her perspective. It's no wonder she turned out to be the way she is, and if she wants to change that, then she should get to. But, I have my limits, and the ticket I gave her to Redemptionville is a one-way, non-refundable, non-exchangeable, once in a lifetime transaction.

If she shows up on my doorstep again, I'm not going to think about handing out third chances.

"The challenge is now declared over!" Vivian's voice rings out. "Please, watch your step going back!" she calls out, and I have to smile at her as she dawdles on toward the direction of home with the rest of the crowds.

Out of nowhere I feel a body slam into mine, and it's only thanks to River's hand steadying me on my back that keeps me from tumbling over.

"Des!" I exclaim, nearly breathless, her strawberry blonde hair covering my face as she smothers me in a tight embrace. "I'm eating your hair," I say with a laugh which causes her to pull away, allowing me to see properly.

"I was so horrifically worried about you!" she says with her eyes brimming full of tears. "Thank God you're okay!" she throws her arms around me again, sniffling. "I was just about ready to jump in there and tear her off of you!" she says with another sniff, and I pat her back comfortingly.

"Well, good thing that wasn't necessary." I say with a smile and Desiree pulls back abruptly.

"Don't you dare go making light of this!" she says dramatically, and I smile fondly at her and give her a quick kiss on the cheek, hugging her tightly once more.

"I'm sorry, you're right, please forgive me." I say with a smile and Desiree scoffs as I release her.

"Oh, as if it's that easy to win me over." She shakes her head in dismay as David appears through the departing swarms of people. He gently reaches for Desiree, pulling her into his side and planting a kiss on top of her head.

"You need rest, Des. You've been a wreck the last twelve hours, let's get you home, yeah?" David asks with a small smile before glancing up to River and I. "Well done, Luna, that was...Seriously impressive." David decides on his wording, and I chuckle.