Chapter 31: Decisions

Holly

I sit in shock, staring at the door River just shut behind him. His sudden departure took all of us off guard. I can tell by the expressions on Colt and Liana's faces that they were hardly anticipating their Alpha walking out on them mid-conversation, especially when it was him approaching them for help.

I turn to look back at them, frowning.

"I should probably go see what that was all about." I say with an awkward laugh. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to run out on you too but—"

"No need to explain, Luna." Colt waves a hand with a sympathetic expression. "He is your mate—you feel what he feels. We know." He smiles gently as he places his hand on Liana's shoulder, squeezing fondly.

I rise from my seat, heaving a sigh.

"Thank you. Really, I would feel so much worse about this whole thing without knowing I had your support." I say to them honestly—despite my short time in knowing Colt and Liana, the reassurance I feel from them is remarkable. They are solid. I understand better now why River has such uncompromising faith in them.

"Please, it is the least we can do." Liana shrugs evenly, a sad smile on her face. "I will see you tomorrow, bright and early, as we said."

I nod in confirmation. "Yes, of course. I'll be there. Hopefully River too." I say, biting the inside of my cheek, wondering where he's gone, what he is doing.

Colt and Liana bid me goodnight and I set off from their cabin, raising my nose to the wind, trying to sniff River out. I can find him well enough, but the trail becomes muddled as soon as I enter the main square—too many scents are swimming around for me to be accurate in knowing where he went.

I double-back to the house, taking my dress of as quickly and carefully as I can before draping it across one of the kitchen barstools.

When I step back outside, the cool air bites at my naked body. I step off the porch, shifting, and land on four legs.

My nose finds River's scent immediately, and even when I pass through the main square again, I keep on the trail without issue.

I follow his scent all the way to the cliffs overlooking the ocean, then down a well-worn path that cuts down the side of the cliffs leading toward the shoreline. It reminds me of the path that goes toward the cave, only this one is far less reinforced. No steps or anything to speak of.

I finally arrive at a small clearing, just a few feet above sea-level, with long yellowed grass and a carpet of wildflowers. Arbutus trees decorate the perimeter, with an opening between them just large enough to give you an unobstructed view of the waves crawling up the beach.

There, standing so still he could be mistaken for a statue, River's silhouette is illuminated in the moonlight. Without turning around to face me, he speaks.

"I came here to be alone, Holly." He says with acid in his voice.

Oh, okay, so we're back to being angry again.

I give a low growl of annoyance as I approach him, letting him know I don't give a damn. He walked out on me, but he's the one who's annoyed?

Classic.

I lope my way through the tall grass, stopping to stand beside him. My height in this form allows me to be taller than him, only by a few inches.