Somewhere ch-4

Chapter 4 Somewhere

"Sam grab me a few energy shots too!" Dad's voice called out across the parking lot.

Smiling slightly I nodded not wanting to yell back and call more attention to my self. God knew I had my day's fill of that when Dad's truck back fired at the school. Everyone was laughing and giggling but I forced the noise out and held my head high as I jumped in the truck. Shaking my head slightly I entered the gas station. Dad had been oblivious to my embarrassment which both irritated me and allowed me to sulk. He was always so unaware of the situation. After grabbing a bag of chips, candy bar, couple bottles of soda from the cooler then some four hour energy shots I stood in line.

An older man slowly counted out his change as he paid for lottery tickets. Wasn't that a real shame? The man was so obviously broke but still putting his hopes into a scratch off ticket. I never had the pleasure of wasting money for fun. It seemed like such a waste any way. When my turn came the chubby check out girl rang up my stuff and I spoke to her quietly.

"Part of this is on my card." I held the food stamp debit card out. I swiped it in the machine and waited on my receipt grateful that no one waited behind me. The words glared back at me, Declined. "

What there has some mistake?" I counted the money dad had given me again, fourteen dollars.

"Sorry honey but it's been messing up." Her voice drawled out in a flat tone.

"How much is it again?"

"With the ten in gas its twenty two and thirty two cents." She motioned to the screen.

Counting the cost of each item in my head I sighed. I was starving but the gas had been pumped and my dad wanted his drinks. "Can you take off the soda and chips and see what it is?"

"Sixteen seventy two..." Her voice was more irritated now.

My eyes were on the verge of tearing up again. I had been to upset from today to function properly. Now with more humiliation to top it off my voice broke. "J-just give me the energy shots and gas then."

"How much you short?" A voice snapped in my ear causing me to jump.

Turning quickly caused me to look directly into Aden's eyes. He was slightly slumped over my shoulder. I hadn't heard the door buzzer go off but he was holding a soda from the cooler. So he must have been in here a while. How much of my embarrassment had he witnessed? Color glowed in my cheeks from the shame that filled my body. I again was at a loss for words. The lady at the counter answers for me though.

"Eight dollars and thirty two cents."

"Just add it with mine and give me a pack of cigs Margaret."

He slipped past me slightly taking the bag and handing it to me with a grin. Pulling his wallet out he pulled out a fifty dollar bill to pay from the wad of cash it held. Damn he must be from a wealthy family and that made my embarrassment so much greater. The fire in my cheeks burned hotly as I waited for him to finish with the cashier.

"Thanks Aden. I'll pay you back tomorrow. I-I promise." Not being able to look him in the eye I studied the tiled floor. The door jingled open in front of me. Pulling my eyes up slightly I saw he held the door for me.

"Don't worry about it Sammie."

I knew I would though until I paid him every cent back. My family was poor but I didn't ask for hand outs. He on the other hand was probably from some wealthy snobby family where money didn't matter. It was just a given that money filled their banks and pockets. Stepping by him I smiled weakly at him as I muttered another thanks.