Chapter Six.

HARRY'S POV

-Two years ago-

The loud traffic of the New York City streets passed me by in a blur as Geoff drove the car down the crowded road. My fingers were tapping furiously on my phone to send an email to some dumbass in the industry who's properly screwed up one of my biggest deals.

Merging with Hamlin Inc. has been one of my main priorities since taking on my fathers business, and years of work was screwed up within minutes of my idiot assistant who calculated a few things wrong and made my company look unreliable, which then became unappealing to Elliot Hamlin himself. He sent me the email this morning telling me he was sorry to inform me that he appreciates my offer but he doesn't find it plausible for his company at the moment.

Part of me was tempted to call and fire my assistant right now so that I wouldn't have to deal with him later, but a bigger and much more immature part of me wanted to to do it in person in my office where I could see him crumble.

My father always told me that the best piece of advice he could give me about being in the business world was that the company always came first. Not the employees, not even the customers. People come and go, but once the company goes down, that's the last of it.

I guess becoming heartless has really turned me into an official business man.

"We've arrived, Mr. Styles." Geoff speaks from the front seat of the car and my head turns up to look out the window. The car is stopped directly in front of Rosie's cupcake shop and from what I can see, there aren't many customers inside. Perfect.

"Thanks." I mutter back to the driver before getting out of the car. My black slacks have ridden up my legs during the car ride, but fall back down to their normal length the second I stand. The pants match with my black suit coat, which is perfectly tailored to my body and matched with a crisp white shirt beneath. I dressed well today thinking I'd be leaving the office to go sign papers with Elliot Hamlin after lunch, but instead, I'm showing up at Rosie's shop in a piss-poor mood and hoping to see one of her sweet smiles to make me feel better.

The bell hanging on the door of the shop jingles to announce my arrival the second I step inside. Annoying pop music is playing through the speakers on the walls and only one table is occupied throughout the entire shop.

"Harry!" Rosie greets the second she sees me. Her lips crack into a beautiful smile and she steps out from behind the counter to wrap her arms tightly around me.

"How'd the meeting go, baby? Did you seal the deal?" She continues on, giggling a bit as she leans back to look up at me. Her hand reaches up from my side to push some hair back from my forehead and I suddenly feel a bit guilty knowing she expected me to come here with good news.

"My assistant fucked it up, Rosie. Hamlin emailed me today and thanked me for the offer but said he doesn't want to do it right now." I lean my head down to drop against hers and sigh deeply.

"Oh, Harry, I'm so sorry." Her tone changes drastically from the previous excitement to sympathy. I feel pathetic coming to my wife over something as simple as a business deal falling through, but I know Rosie would never deny me comfort.

"It's okay. Just... Disappointing." I lean back to look at her and she purses her lips while cupping my cheek with her hand.

"Are you out of work early? I could close up the shop and we could go do something." She leans up to gently kiss my lips, which immediately reminds me of why I came here in the first place. I was hoping to get a hug, and also to take Rosie into the back room of the shop and take out some of my frustration out.