Chapter 56

VICTOR'S POV

10:26PM

"Humph!" Arion exclaimed as we roughly fell on the floor for the hundredth time.

I painfully got up, panting heavily, my body folded in half. Arion just laid on the floor, staring at the ceiling of the our stadium emptily.

"Victor..." he whispered, turning to me. "I felt as if we were closer this time! Let's try again!" His face suddenly lit up as I rolled my eyes. How did he always manage to be so positive?

"Let's take a water break first." I suggested, to which he quickly nodded.

We walked towards the bench where we'd positioned our stuff. As I basically chugged my bottle of water, Arion silently sipped on his, reading his messages on his phone.

I looked at my own phone. Ever since this morning, Avril hadn't tried to contact me, and this made my heart ache a little bit. But she was probably just busy, as was I.

I needed to learn this technique with Arion to make sure the real soccer would come back and that I could date Avril freely. That was my sole objective.

"Hey, listen, Victor..." Arion suddenly said putting down his phone. "Did you do something to piss off, Avril?" He asked as I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Not that I remember... why?" I replied, trying to remember something I could have possible done, but nothing came to mind.

"According to Skye, Avril has been in a terrible mood all the day." Arion said rereading his messages with his girlfriend. "Something about us bailing and you never telling her stuff."

What? Avril was mad at me because I hadn't told her what was going on? But...

I bit my lip as I realised my succession of mistakes. I'd bailed on her, ignored all her messages, acted like a freak who was obsessed with Arion and refused to tell her what was going on. Of course she was mad at me.

I facepalmed as I sighed. "Yeah, I may have pissed her off."

"Why?" Arion put his phone away, looking at me with his curious grey eyes.

"It's... complicated." I finally let out, drinking some more water. "Does Skye know what you're doing?"

"I just told her we were working on an important technique and that it had to stay a secret." He shrugged. Of course the solution was easy, why hadn't I thought about that before? "Don't worry, I didn't mention Axel or anything like that."

I sighed another time. Sometimes things were so easy and I messed them up for no reason. I was so caught up in protecting Avril I hadn't realised I was hurting her.

"Is Avril mad at you because we're working on this technique?" Arion asked again. He was clearly very curious as to what was happening.

"I didn't even tell her we were working on one." I slouched down on the bench next to Arion as he kept staring.

"Well why didn't you?" He asked again, but this time it was more of a whisper.

I stared in front of me, trying to remember what had gone through my brain this morning. I was so focused on finding Arion. I'd spent the whole night working, and knew I needed the new captain to make the technique work.

It was ironic, really. I'd been so driven by the fact I needed to protect my relationship with Avril I'd simultaneously sabotaged it.

"If Avril got hurt because of me, I'd never forgive myself." I finally murmured as Arion chuckled.

"No offence, but I've seen Avril beat up a big, muscular guy. I think she can take care of herself."

"I know she can." I glared at Arion but he didn't seem intimidated, just intrigued. "That doesn't mean I don't worry."

There was a small pause. As Arion pondered over my words, I realised I had to apologise to Avril with urgency, before she stayed permanently mad at me.

"Well, I don't get it then." The boy next to me said as I rolled my eyes.

"It doesn't matter. Come on, let's try it again." I said putting my water bottle down and standing up.

But Arion didn't move. "I'm not trying it again until you explain what you mean."

I sighed in irritation. "What the hell do you mean you mean to explain it to you?" I asked furiously, my voice resonating through the whole pitch.

"Well, there's one possible explanation... you like Avril!" I facepalmed myself hard as I tried to control my killing instincts.

"Arion, let's just get back on the field!" I hissed, but he refused to listen.

"You know, all this time, I was pretty sure Jade was being a bit mad, but now I get it." He then crosses his arms, looking almighty. "And I'm not going to get back on the field until you admit you like her!"

I looked at him, turning red in anger as every part of my body boiled.

"Arion, stop this! Let's just practice!" I replied in irritation, but nothing did it.

"Nope, not until you say it." He quickly glanced at me, checking if I was giving in.

"Arion, get the fuck back in the field." I hissed, clenching my fists.

"Not until you say it."

"Arioon..." My voice grew angry and loud as I looked at the guy. What the hell was he playing at?

"Say it."

"No." I categorically refused. Whatever little game he was playing, I wasn't going to participate.

"Come on, for me?"

"Still no."

"Pretty please?"

"Nope."

"I'm not getting back on the field then." He declared, looking away.

"Arion, for fuck's sake, let's just practice!" I exclaimed, exasperated by his attitude.

"Just say it. Come on, how bad can it be to admit that-"

"Oh my god, Arion, of course I fucking like her!" I screamed in exasperation as his eyes widened. "And this is exactly why I need you and I to get this dumb technique to work, got it? So get your ass back on the field before I murder you on the spot!"

I let out furiously, pointing at the pitch. Arion, just looked at me, eyes seemingly emotionless until...

"Oh. My. God. You admitted ohmygodIcan'tbelieveitaaaaaah!" Arion started jumping and running around the field, an outburst of energy suddenly taking over him.

I facepalmed as hard as I could, probably leaving a big mark on my forehead. It didn't matter. Why had I even picked this hyperactive freak to learn the technique?

I shook my head. It didn't matter. I needed someone, and I didn't have a choice. As Axel had said, the only way to win the game was to master this technique. And I couldn't afford to lose. Not this time.