Chapter 30

"What do you mean the Coach quit?" I asked for the hundredth time. That wasn't possible. Coach Evans had literally lifted up the team. There was no way he'd quit on us.

"That's what Coach Sharp said this morning." Riccardo told us, shaking his head.

We were all eating lunch together, staring at the Captain as he gave us the bad news. Victor on one side and Arion on the other, I could tell the whole team's morale would be affected by this.

Victor had stiffened, and hadn't said anything, but I knew him well enough to know that it still saddened him. As for Arion, he'd been completely dumbfounded. A veil of darkness had appeared on his face, and he looked crushed.

"It's not possible." Arion finally murmured, playing with his fork. "He wouldn't do that to us."

"Well that's what happened. And Coach Sharp said we're going to do a different kind of training this afternoon. Something about endurance."

I looked at Victor as he shrugged. Clearly, he didn't know anything else.

"I'm sure it'll be fine." Skye tried to reassure the boys, but clearly, it wasn't working.

And they had been right to be worried about the training. Coach Sharp had made us reach our limit. We hadn't touched a ball once, only ran and did more exercises with tires and other accessories.

When I reached Victor's house that night, I was absolutely exhausted.

"Today's practice was definitely different." I sighed, laying on the couch, Victor sitting on the floor next to me. "I am sore literally everywhere." Victor chuckled.

"It definitely wasn't what we did with Coach Evans." He was going through the DVDs, trying to pick out a movie.

"Do you have any idea why the Coach might have went away?" I asked, turning on my belly, looking at Victor. He had stiffened. "You do know something!" I exclaimed.

"Not really..." he sighed, looking at me. "I saw him talking with Shawn Frost after the game against the Alpine, and it looked pretty serious. But maybe it was just an impression and the two things are completely unrelated."

I paused, thinking. If Shawn knew something serious, he would definitely tell me. Right?

"Oh well. It doesn't matter now. I'm sure Coach Evans will come back." I shrugged, looking at his pick: Mission Impossible.

"You sound just like Arion." He teased as I pouted.

"Well someone had to tell him something! He looked like a truck had ran over him." Victor laughed loudly as he put the dvd in the player.

"Want a blanket?"

"Nah, I'm fine, thanks." I stood up, giving him place to sit besides me.

I'd been coming at his house every night for pretty much the past 2 weeks, and we'd also started doing some other things before sleep. Sometimes we'd play Mario Kart, or we'd watch a movie.

He'd warned me that his neighbour was becoming a bit suspicious though, so we always kept the volume down.

I hadn't told anyone about our nightly excursions: it was our thing, and I liked it that way. Besides, who'd I even tell? Jade, Shawn and Njord would keep pressing about the crush thing, and my mum would be livid. No, it was better this way.

---------------
The next day...

Today's training was even harder than yesterday's, and I could tell some of our teammates were having trouble keeping up. Mainly, there seemed to be a rupture between Arion and J.P. , which had literally never happened before, and we were unsure on what to do.