Lies

"What are you doing here?"

A face popped up infront of you. Zach. Your eyes widened in shock, as you tried to hold back your scream. "Oh.... it's just you" you whispered back, having a sigh of relief. You relaxed and returned to your sad trudging. "Why are you here y/n" he asked, a bit more sternly. "Umm..." you trailed off, you didn't know what to tell him. "Tell me y/n. I already know the answer so don't try and lie to me" he said. You looked at his face. How did he know? Or was he just saying that so that you'd tell him the truth?

You didn't reply. Tears formed in your eyes. "I know you came here for Draco" he whisper-yelled. Your mouth opened in shock. "Wha-" you tried to speak but he cut you off. "please Y/n... no more lies. Your friends saw you sneaking off and I assumed it was for Draco. Am I wrong?" He asked. You still didn't speak. No words were leaving your mouth. "For the love of god y/n say something!" He shouted. His voice definitely was loud. You wouldn't be surprised if the whole school heard it. Shocked by his volume, you opened your mouth to speak. "Y-yeah, I did come here for Draco" you muttered out. Zach's face dropped, not in sadness, but in disappointment. A blank expression took over his face. As though he were numb. He hung his head, trying to make sense of the situation. He scoffed. A moment of painful silence passed and then he spoke.

"You told me you wanted to sleep early" All you could do was watch him through your tears. "You lied to me" With those words, you felt a lump in your throat. "You let me kiss you... knowing that you'd be going out with Draco tonight? You played with my emotions. And for what." You stared at him. Your vision was blurry, but you didn't really want to see his face right now, or it'd just upset you more. You wanted to say sorry, you wanted to explain why you did this, but there was really no excuse. "Just so that you could meet Draco? Speaking of him, weren't you supposed to be meeting him here? Where is he" he demanded to know. You knew that if you didn't reply to him, he would get more angry. "He.. he didn't show up" you spoke in a small voice. Zach scoffed.

"What.. he ditched you?" His voice softened, and so did his face. Worry came over his face. "Okay, this can't go on for any longer. Y/n, I meant to tell you this for a while now, but I just couldn't bring myself to tell you this" You felt barbed wire wrap around your throat as he said these words. "Even though I hate Draco, I saw how happy you were with him, and I didnt want to ruin that. But this has been going on for far too long" You listened to his words with an ache in your heart. You were truly terrified as to what he would say next. "I- he..." Zach couldn't gather his words. He was formulating a way to say this in the least painful way. But nothing came to mind. You just watched him. "Y/n.. this was all a bet. Draco never meant any of this. He was playing you this whole time" You stared at him in disbelief. You didn't know what to feel. Were you confused, angry, hurt or numb? You couldn't tell.

"How.. how do you know all of this" you stuttered out. "I heard him... in the library.. talking to his friends. Y/n I'm sorry. I really wanted to tell you but I couldn't"
"You held this back from me?" You said, tears uncontrollably falling from your eyes. Not only was this whole thing with Draco a lie, but your best friend knew all this time. "Y/n I said I'm sorry! And don't shift this to me! You were the one who led me on. Knowing my feelings for you! Just because I'm somebody who doesn't like to argue, doesn't mean you can walk all over me like this" he spat. He wasn't angry, but rather offended that you would treat him like this. He wasn't wrong though. You didn't have anything to say. You were still trying to process what happened. "I know I should have told you earlier, but I did try. You were so focused on him that you didn't even care to notice why I disliked Draco. I wasn't jealous of him, I was worried about you. About how you would react when you found out about this. And, despite what you may be thinking right now, I'm glad I could be the one who told you this. I'm glad you found out now, rather than later" He spoke, clutching his heart. He just wanted you to understand why he did this.

You remained silent. "So you're not going to say anything. Nothing to me? Nothing about Draco?" He asked, waiting for a reply. You were too busy crying, though your tears had slowed, and you were more infuriated now. "Okay. If that's how you're going to be... then be my guest. I tried my best. But the fact that you care more about Draco, than your best friend, really speaks volumes to me. I'm glad I didn't waste my time and love on you. I just can't be near you right now.." he said his words and exited. With your vision still blurry, all you could hear was his faint footsteps.

Left all alone, alone to your thoughts, you leaned against the wall, sliding down it in agony. Not only did you find out that the guy you liked was just pretending to like you, but you also lost your best friend. You gripped your hair tightly and tried not to scream. So, Draco had been lying to you this whole time? He had been betting on you? On what, if he could successfully seduce you? And you had foolishly let him accomplish his mission. You should've stayed wary of him, like you used to. Thinking back, you remembered when he has randomly told you he liked you. This must've been when the bet had started. You were stupid for falling for him. Every detail came back into your head like bullets. There were so many red flags that you should've picked up on. You buried your head in your knees, and sobbed. You didn't care how loud you were being.

Nothing mattered anymore.