2.9

One of the traditions of the people of Greater Ming, is for a newly wed bride to return to her parents’ home after a full month. There were some nobles who, in order to demonstrate their solicitousness for the family of their bride, would accompany their new wives back to her parents’ home.

Hence, when the Róng Qīnwáng announced that the the prince's Wangfei will be returning to his family tomorrow, it wasn’t just the Minister of Revenue’s household which was shocked. The Emperor and the Crown Prince could scarcely believe their ears, even the common masses were bowled over by the news!

Wasn’t it already established that the Róng Qīnwáng particularly detested his Wángfēi, to the point that there still hasn’t been a ceremony to bow to Heaven and Earth till this day! Wasn’t it said that the Young master of the Tao family was placed under house arrest on the very day of his wedding, and was being cruelly abused by the Róng Qīnwáng! And wasn’t it known by all that the Róng Qīnwáng and the Tao family couldn’t see eye to eye, and refused all dealings with each other!

In the end, they could only conclude that the rumours spread by the gossip-mongers were absolute hogwash. Although the stories sounded very reasonable and logical when they first heard it, but based on what was happening right now, there were definitely some inconsistencies somewhere!

Faced with Granny Wu and Deputy General Cao, who were both wearing expressions of equal disbelief, Su Yang opted for insouciance. He focused on nibbling his snacks, quietly enduring their stares in silence!

After climbing into the horse-drawn carriage, Granny Wu looked at his sunken cheeks in distress.

"Ai my little Master, please say something, the Róng Qīnwáng…… I mean, the prince, what did he do to you? Why have you lost so much weight in such a short period of time?"

Lost so much weight? Thinking it over, Su Yang recalled that his recent appetite has been terrible, and it does seem that he was now thinner than before, but he was still within the limits of a normal weight range. However, the baby fat has melted from his face, making his bright eyes stand out even more.

Deputy General Cao was standing outside the carriage. His sharp ears caught Granny Wu’s words and he moved a little closer, eager to eavesdrop on this rare piece of insider gossip.

Su Yang leaned back against the thick cushions, taking small bites from a flaky piece of pear-blossom tart. He mumbled, "Husband treats me very well."

His tone was so sincere that Granny Wu’s eyes almost fell out of her head. As for the eavesdropping Deputy General Cao, he looked as if he had seen a ghost.

Granny Wu knows that he has the mind of a child, and a child may not even understand that he has been bullied. She began to question him more closely, "Oh, how about you tell me how the prince treats you well, then."

Su Yang stuffed the half-eaten pear blossom tart into his mouth, and attempted to lick the crumbs off his fingers. Granny Wu hurriedly pulled out a handkerchief and wiped his hands clean. Su Yang frowned as if in deep thought, before answering innocently, "Husband hugs me to sleep, helps me bathe, gives me nice clothes to wear, and whatever I want to eat he will get it for me! Husband is the greatest!"

Granny Wu’s gaping mouth was bigger than a goose’s egg.

Su Yang giggled and stuffed a pastry into her mouth, inwardly praying for the questions to stop. Forget the unhappy past, forget it all! He really did not wish to recall that dark and wretched period!!

However, Granny Wu was nothing if not persistent. She quickly chewed and swallowed the pastry before moving closer to Su Yang to ask, "The prince really treats you well? He doesn’t bully you?"