Silent Treatment

Depuis le début

"Language," he mumbled, not even bothering to look at me.

I watched his jaw tick and I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms and slouching down in my seat.

"Sit up, Scarlett," he said in tired tone.

Rolling my eyes again, I slouched down further.

His jaw ticked twice and it was José who stopped us from ripping each other's head off into a million pieces.

"Una esalada para la dama," he said, placing a small plate in front of me.

I drooled over all of the lobster filled salad. I looked up at him. "Gracious," I said.

Rowan snorted and I looked at him in confusion. He bit his lip to cover up what looked like a laugh, but didn't look at me.

José looked at me in confusion before shaking my head.

"You are really rude," I said with a frown as he sat Rowan's plate down in front of him.

"Gracias," Rowan said with a nod. He put emphasis on the word and I rolled my eyes.

Show off.

The first thing I was going to do when I got home was learn how to speak Spanish. Simple words such as "gracias" was something I feel like I should've learned growing up.

"Gracias," I corrected myself with a satisfied nod. He smiled at me and bowed.

"Que bebida te gusta?"

Say what?

I really wish I had my phone. It just dawned on me that I could have been using Google this entire time.

"Voy a tener un bellini," he said. "And whatever the lady wants."

I snorted. "Yes, whatever the housewife wants," I said in a fake Southern accent.

I felt like he purposefully ended his sentence speaking English. José clearly couldn't understand a word of it. He just looked at us as if he were lost. Or maybe it was what I said in general because Rowan raised an eyebrow at me.

That really was my weakness. I would marry anyone who could raise their eyebrow.

"Maybe not here?" he asked me. He had a serious look on his face. The irritation was clear in his voice. It made me want to roll my eyes.

José backed away from the table.

"Ella tomara agua, por favor," he said in a dismissive tone.

"En seguida, senor." And with a bow, he left the room.

I thought that it was rude to speak another language with people who didn't speak it. The nail techs speak Chinese. The person getting their nails done has no idea what the tech is saying. I always had a feeling they were talking about me. The only time they spoke English was when it was time to pay.

I took a huge bite of my salad and held back a moan. It was so good. It actually was better than the food in America.

Rowan was still sitting beside me, quietly eating until he threw down his napkin after wiping his mouth.

"Joder," he muttered, standing up.

Was his food cold?

"This has gone on long enough," he said.

I looked up at him.

"What is the problem?" he asked me in an irritated voice.

"What am I to you?" I asked him in a 'matter of fact' tone.