Grey Areas

Grey.

Grey is normally no one's favorite colors.

When people hear the word "grey" they either think about how it has two different spellings, or they think about books.

When people think of grey, they might think 'boring' or 'depressing'.

But, grey has become my favorite color.

Rowan had grey eyes that lit up when he was happy. When he smiled, the skin around his eyes tightened. And when he was angry, his eyes darkened. It was like a storm. He was a walking storm.

In the sunlight, his eyes seemed almost clear. When he looks at me, my cheeks heat and my heart beats faster. When he smiles, the dimple in his left cheek deepens and I blush like an idiot which makes his innocent smile turn into a sinister smirk.

"What are you thinking about?" Rowan asked me as we stopped at a red light.

I looked at him and smiled. "You."

Then I cringed at how cheesy my answer sounded.

"All good things, I hope."

I smiled.

But, let me skip back to the part where I said "we stopped at a red light."

Yes, Rowan was letting me out of the house. And, I know that it sounds like some sort of dog-training situation, but he had to trust me.

I needed to gain his trust and I had. I see that he is not a monster , so he's okay with me. Bad things need to start happening to bad people so that bad people could stop being...bad?

I couldn't support his actions with a clear conscious, but I could understand him.

I have been with Rowan for at least two months. Maybe less. I thought it was sad how I lost track of time.

I hadn't seen Colton in two weeks and Rowan would answer no questions about him.

Since I kept badgering him, he figured he'd take me to the mall to meet up with Heather and Lily to do some shopping.

He wanted me to spend a day with him at his office.

I wondered did anyone else know he stalked criminals during his free time. He spent a lot of time away from home, so I wondered if he was always at work.

"Scarlett!"

I gasped, flinching in my seat.

"I'm sorry," Rowan said once he noticed the terror on my face.

I looked at him and then at our surroundings, then him.

"I've been calling your name repeatedly and you weren't answer."

I nodded. "It's fine. I just spaced out."

He raised his eyebrow and then shook his head.

Before I could open my mouth to speak, a pink Lamborghini pulled up beside my side of the car.

Rowan got out and walked around the car. Just as I was about to open my door, he swung it open.

I felt my cheeks flame at the simple gesture, and I could feel Heather and Lily's gaze through the window of their car.

When did I become such a schoolgirl?

When I got out, he shut the door before reaching in the back of his pocket.

The girls got out of their car, giggling. "Hi, Mr. Hanse," they both said in an overly cheerful voice.

Americans, I thought. As if I wasn't one myself.

"Ladies, call me Rowan," he said, getting his card out of his wallet.

He handed it to me, eyeing me the whole time.

I plucked the card from his fingers and he smirked. "Don't spend it all in one place," he said.

"Don't spend it all in one place," I tried my best to mimic his deep voice.

He rolled his eyes as he grabbed me by the waist, pulling me closer to him. I shrieked, placing my hands on his chest.

His rose his eyebrows in a flirtatious manner and I felt my cheeks burning again. He leaned down. "And make sure you buy something sexy," he murmured into my ear.

I heard the girls squeal behind me as he let me go, walking back to his side of the car. He winked at me and got in.

"Girl your man is to die for," Lily said loudly.

I was hoping he couldn't hear. Rowan didn't need an ego-booster.

I turned around to them, fighting back a smile. "He is not my man," I said, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Whatever," she replied while playfully rolling her ehew.

Heather laughed. "So are we just going to stand here, or can we go burn these credit cards up?"

We all laughed as we walked into the mall.

I turned around to see that Rowan was watching me. He gave me a cautious look.

I nodded and turned back around, giving the girls my best fake smile.

It was in that split second that I felt like a prisoner.

He didn't trust me enough.

I needed a way to show him that he could.

He needed to know that I understood him and that I would support him.

"Are you coming, Scarlett?" I heard Heather's voice. I looked up to see them standing and waiting for me. I must've zoned out again.

"Where to first?" I asked with a small smile.

*******************************************

Two slightly unedited chapters in one day!

So is the vote button not working because while you guys have been reading, you have not been voting. My writing is bad isn't it?

Thanks for keeping me in high rankings though!

~djdiamondmind1738