chapter 23

Aubrey POV

I didn't run into Ian the rest of the day and he didn't respond to my message. Hypocritical. But lucky for me.

I am currently packing up my bag at my locker when just as I take my last book, my door is slam shut. 

"Ready to go loser?" Riley smirks, and I give her a stunned expression.

I clear my throat and say "Uhm mmhhmm, yep!"

She chuckles and starts walking away. "Well hurry up"

I zip up my bag then jog to catch up with her. Is it weird I think of her like the female version of Ian? Shit, he is the last person I want to be thinking about.

As my mind is burdened with thoughts of Ian, Riley stops in front of a sleek black car. She gets in the driver's seat and motions for me to get in the front. I nod and get into the car. She even has a similar car to Ian I think but then immediately scold myself.

"I can literally see you overthinking." she says starting up the car.

"Hmm?" I say refocusing my attention to her from my thoughts.

"Your face scrunches up when you think of something you don't like and it's like I can hear the cogs turning in that brain of yours" she snickers.

"Oh sorry" I say not knowing how else to respond and looking out the window.

"No" she snaps and then pauses before adding quietly "It's cute" and I look to see her trying to avoid my eye contact. 

I pretend I didn't hear that and look out the window as she pulls out of the car space.

"So where is this ice cream place?" I ask wanting to change the subject and needing a distraction from my own thoughts.

"About ten minutes away, it's called Sinners and Saints" she says maintaining her gaze on the road.

"Oh cool" I say and she looks at me making me pause before I say "Thank you for this!"

"Yeah" she says quickly diverting her attention back to the road. 

Ten minutes later we arrive. It's a cute little place on the corner and the decor inside is so nostalgic. Riley and I walk up to the display of all the flavours, I am amazed at how many colours there are. But it really doesn't matter as long as there is chocolate, I never get anything else. 

"Want do you want?" Riley says turning to look at me.

"I think I'll get chocolate, what about you?" I ask.

"Choc mint, now go find us a seat over there" she says pointing to the booths on the other side of the ice cream parlour. Choc mint though, I don't wanna judge but that shit is disgusting. Each to their own I guess. 

"Ok I'll quickly order then-" she cuts me off by placing her hand on my shoulder.

"No, go sit" she says looking sternly at me. Damn she is so serious.

"Oh but-" I start but she interrupts me.

"Omg leave already" she half chuckles.

I laugh back and walk over to get us a table. I pull out my phone and see tons of missed calls from Ian. He called me 46 times? And he has texted me 50 times. Holy shit. I read some of the messages

                         Ian: WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU?

                         Ian: AUBREY FUCKING CARTER ANSWER YOUR DAMN PHONE

                         Ian: I SWEAR TO GOD AUBREY

                         Ian: Angel baby please respond I'm worried.