chapter 22

Aubrey POV

Dan and I sit at our regular table and pretend nothing happened even though I have so many questions swirling in my head about what the hell happened in the corridor.

My phone buzzes and I check it briefly to see a message from Ian. I roll my eyes and open it to see him asking me to go to the library. There is no way I'm talking to him now, I am staying by Dan's side and making sure he is ok before I go and deal with Ian. 

I know I will have to get his side of the story but Dan is being more quiet than usual and I can tell the situation with Ian shook him more than he wants to admit. 

"Hey Aubs, you need a lift home today?" Spencer asks, almost like he is reading my mind. There is no way I'm going to Ian's today.

"Oh yes please! Thanks Spence" I say looking up from my phone and giving him a small smile. 

"Of course princess" Spencer says then turning to resume his conversation with Jay.

Rachel shoots me a suggestive look and I tilt my head in confusion. She laughs and then takes a bite out of her burger.

As I'm talking to the guys I feel my phone going crazy with messages. I look at my homescreen and see they are all from Ian. Get the hint mate I ain't going to the library with you.

While the guys talk I find my eyes drifting from them and staring off into space as I overthink. I don't know how long I am zoned out before Riley starts waving at me from across the cafeteria. What why? Oh shit I've been staring at her, well zoned out looking in her direction. My cheeks instantly blush and I give her a small wave back. She rolls her eyes I see a small smile on her face. 

My attention is drawn back to the table when Jay says "Yo Dan you said you were gonna help me with the Calculus homework."

"Dude you can't just get him to do your homework for you!" Spencer scolds

"What dude he said he could help!" Jay says defensively.

"Yeah I did" Dan speaks up, looking to Jay.

Jay gives Dan a smile and then starts to stand up "Let's go to one of the classrooms" He picks up his bag and Dan gets up too. "Alright bye gang!" Jay says and Dan rolls his eyes. We all laugh as they walk away.

"Well I got to go the library" Rachel says standing up.

"Oh actually I need to go too" Spencer says.

"Oh Aubs why don't you come too?" Rachel asks.

Knowing what is waiting in the library I almost choke on my water and say "Uh no I've still got my chips to eat, you guys go I'll be fine."

"You sure Aubs?" Spencer asks.

"Yesss go already!!" I laugh. 

Before I know it I am sitting alone in the cafeteria. I try to drone out the sounds of everyone talking. Just as I start daydreaming I am interrupted by. 

"You know if you take a picture it will last longer right?" a familiar voice says condescendingly snapping me out of my thoughts.

I turn my attention to Riley who is now sat in front of me smirking. I obviously have a confused expression on my face as she chuckles and says. "Or you should really work on being subtle when you stare at someone"

Realising she is referring to the earlier incident where I drifted off while staring at her. I cough on my chips and say "Ohh sorry yeah I drifted off for a bit!" whilst laughing awkwardly.

"Surreee" she says. "Now give me your phone"

"Wait why?" I ask confused at her bluntness.

"So I can put my number in it obviously?" she scoffs and reaching for my phone sitting on the table. Damn she is assertive.