Chapter 18

"Harris." I watch as he stiffens. His knuckles pulsate with the pain of the thrown punches. Nero is panting, as his head leans against the floor. His head is tilted upward, and I couldn't see his eyes. There has to be a defiant glint to his gaze. It has to be there. "The kitchen. Now."

Zander's head slowly turns toward me. I notice that his eyes widen. "He will kill you."

I snicker ominously before I watch as Zander backs away from Nero. Zander's gaze easily finds my own. I could notice the blood ooze from his lips, and cling to the side of his nostrils.

"Go. I will speak to you when I'm done."

Zander inhales deeply as he saunters into the kitchen. "As for you, Loch. Get to the bedroom."

"You have no right to dictate—" There's a look of defiance in his gaze.

I huff out. I hoist him to his feet and drag him to the bedroom. "We have all the time in the world Loch." I spit out as the door rattles shut behind me. "I will return. We leave when you realize that jealousy will get you nowhere."

His pride will kill him. When I finally decide to leave the bedroom and enter the kitchen, I hear the clicking of water against the basis. I lean against the frame of the door. Watching as Zander winces and hearing him hiss.

"The fucker broke a couple ribs. For fuck's sake." He grumbles before shutting the water off. Rotating around, a growl is torn from his throat until his eyes find mine. Almost immediately they soften. "Blaire."

"That is my name." I respond softly.

"He started it."

"Did he?" I inquire. "Or did you want to get him riled up?"

"Blaire, he doesn't love you. He doesn't give a damn about you."

"Oh? Is that so?"

"He will kill you. Blaire, he cut your abdomen. I would never do that shit to you. Please. Listen to me."

"Zander, I love you, but you must realize that we—"

"So that's how it is? You want me to leave, don't you?"

"That's not what I said, Harris."

"I'll do it. I will leave you."

"You wouldn't dare—"

Zander shakes his head. He exhales slowly as he takes a step toward me. "Blaire, I love you. That evening in the garden meant nothing to your decision. You are still going to go after the assassin. You're going to get yourself killed."

"I would see you on the other side."

He scoffs lightly. "I want you so bad, Castillo. He does not love you. He does not care about you. Why would you agree—"

"I want to know what I am truly capable of."

"And you think he is the best fit for aiding you in figuring out why I'm standing before you?"

"Zander, I—"

He takes another step toward me. "Blaire look at me. I really do love you. If you think I am just going to abandon you, you are sorely mistaken. I am more than willing to stay here and wait for you. I refuse to go anywhere." His hand rises to rest on my cheek. His lips brush against my forehead. The move is tender. Loving. A stark contrast to my current relationship.

"For now though," He adds. "I am going to be nothing more than that voice in your head."

"What voice?"