Chapter 9

Stop.

Why are you like an intoxicating drug? Nero

When my eyes meet his as he pulls away, Nero whispered, "You should set the amber-eyed bastard straight. Leave with me. Help me stop her. Help me stop Blaise."

"I already told you—" I hissed out, my chest rapidly rising and falling.

You should have no control over me. 

You should not be a fucking drug--I should not get off on you. 

"Think about it." He replied, with a slow exhale as he leaned toward my ear.. His eyes had an annoying twinkle to them. His lips curved in a smirk as he rested a hand on my hip. His voice dropped dangerously, his warm breath dancing against my ear, as his lips moved toward my neck. "You like it heavy. I am if nothing but a patient man—"

You are nothing more than a liar. He continued speaking as though I did not just back away from him. "Tomorrow morning, I eagerly await your response." I growled irritably, watching as he grinned wickedly.

I will win. 

"You must stop glaring at me." He taunted over his shoulder. "It makes it seem as though you genuinely want me."

The pounding rhythm of drums overhead had quieted to faint grumbles. I watched as Nero sauntered away from me, moving to the door. I returned to my desk, shivering despite the heat running through my veins. Though, he paused at the door, head angling toward me. I could feel his steely gaze upon me when I down. He shook his head with an amused laugh.

Opening the door, it clicked shut into place as I place my head into my hands, rubbing my eyes with my palms.

"How?" I whispered against the silence of the room as I raked my hands violently through my hair. 

How?

How?

How am I getting off—

When the lock of the door clicked into place, Nero's back slammed into the wall. A sharp exhale, as though he had the wind knocked out of him, dislodged itself from his throat. Lightning cracks through the clouds like a knife as it rapidly jogged toward the ground. His eyes slam shut as he heard the crack of a muffled gunshot. Nero' eyes snapped open as a wolfish grin, one that seemed just a little too protective for his liking broke through the silence.

A wolfish growl, a little too possessive in nature, ripped from his attacker's throat as a fist connected to Nero's jaw. His head immediately snapped to the side and when his hand rose to cup his cheek as blood trickled onto the floor with soft clicks, his gaze finally moves to meet the tormentor.

Burnt amber eyes.

Dusty black hair.

A bloodied torso.

Clenched palms.

An arrogant grin and twinkle to the man's eyes displayed an air of confidence that the clearly dead man did not have in his former life. Ink black veins circled like tattoos about the veins within his neck. 

His tormentor's hand rested on the butt of the pistol which clung to his thigh.

"Zander Harris." He rasped, his voice reaching a husky tone. Harris' amber eyes flashed dangerously as a chuckle tore through the silence. Nero rolled his head to the side, relieving the tension within his neck as his palms flexed. He turns his head, spitting a chunk of blood then he wiped the blood off the side of his mouth with the sleeve of his shirt. "I should have known."