Chapter 30

___________________

"So?" Zane questioned Laurence the moment he opened the door not even waiting for him to get in as Laurence slid in shutting the door and reaching for his seat belt

"Bingo. One of the books he borrowed, came from Lucinda. And if I remember correctly, the book on knights Jenna said she read up on came from her too" He nodded in satisfaction "We're gonna have to pay her a visit, but it can probably wait until tomorrow"

Zane nodded taking in the information slowly "So Jenna knew this whole time you were a knight" He murmured starting the car and pulling away as Laurence rolled his eyes.

"She used it to blackmail me into staying, if that's what you mean" He muttered

Zane paused giving a small smile over at him "Seems she was more like us than she showed"

"Yeah . . ." Laurence said softly looking out the window before giving him a questioning look "So where are we going now?"

"To a bookstore, that isn't Lucinda's" Zane said quietly "It's owned by a man named Chad Riccardo"

"Crazy Chad who used to substitute in highschool?" Laurence question thinking as he raised an eyebrow "He owns a bookstore?"

"Yep" Zane laughed shaking his head "It's actually popular among magic users so it's probably a good place to look, considering Vylad rented another book from there"

Laurence nodded quietly "If Vylad thought it was worth using it probably was."

______________________________

"These are from your engagement" Aphmau spoke up from where they all sat on the floor. They all had piles and piles of stuff from the closet they were sorting through. The only items Ein had set aside were three shoe boxes he ordered them not to look inside of.

Garroth felt himself inwardly flinch knowing it was a party he had missed. He'd not known about it but he'd known it was incredibly important. Jenna had begged him to make sure he showed up and he'd brushed her off telling he wasn't able to make it because he was going to be out of town handling some business.

Garte hadn't made it either but he had made sure he called after hand making sure to congratulate her and that was more than Garroth had done. It hurt seeing where he wasn't in all of this. Garroth fell quiet as Ein gave a watery smile a soft light back in his eyes at seeing them.

"That was one of the happiest nights of my life . . . ." He whispered "I was so terrified but . . she was so happy and told me she loved me and I just . . . I stopped worrying about everything else and went for it . . ."

"Look! It's college graduation" She lit up finding more photos and Garroth visibly winced feeling the sting, of knowing he had missed that too.

"Garroth . . . are you okay? You haven't said anything" Ein asked quietly looking over at him as Garroth felt his throat go dry as he nodded before attempting to speak.

"I . . . " He paused feeling his gut clench as he winced looking down messing with some paper or other in his hands " . . . I don't like doing this. . . I . . I'm not in a lot of these photos" He mumbled as Ein frowned quietly