Chapter 24

_______________________________________________________

Aaron comes through the door his elbow being held by his wonderful wife. Not for the first time that day, Aaron thinks that his wife is a saint. Ever since Garroth spoke at the funeral and came out with that semi-truth Aaron has felt a million miles away. He's numb and even though he knows it wont be there, he searches his memory for what happened.

The last thing he remembers is something jolting deep inside him. It had snapped or popped into existence and it felt raging hot like fire. It had brought him to semi-consciousness and while he had fought hard to stay awake he had ended up fading back unconsciousness. But when it had happened he could have sworn he heard voices saw something in a forest but it was gone so quick.

It's the last thing he remembers and it disturbs him more than he cares to admit, that he had been taken out so recklessly fast. Not to mention his partner who, according to Garroth, had been the only one there to see Jenna get killed. Other than himself, but his testimony was useless for the obvious reasons.

Ein had stayed behind with the ro'meaves, and had informed Aaron he was going to stay with them for the time being. It was a shock to his system but Aaron immediately understood why. Ein had never officially been in his pack he was only there as an extension to Jenna. Offering all this hospitality probably brought up emotions Ein didn't want or need to deal with.

"Aaron?" Aphmau's soft voice broke through his thoughts and he turned to her taking in her warm amber eyes gratefully.

"Yeah" He whispered realizing they were still dressed up standing inn the living room.

"You wanna get undressed then sit on the couch so we can talk?" She prompted giving him a look. Aaron wanted so badly to protest but he knew he couldn't not after Jenna.

"Yeah . . .  meet you back down here in ten" He echoed and dismayed finding out how lifeless he sounded.

Aaron separated his arm from hers and slowly trudged up the stairs, not dragging his feet but moving sluggishly slow. He still felt startling numb, and it all felt very surreal as he carefully peeled off his cloths and hopped in the shower. He didn't scrub really simply let the hot water slide off his skin trying to ground himself. After about five minutes Aaron finally relented scrubbing his mangy black mess of all hair product before switching it off. He settled for a pair of draw string grey sweats and a loose white tank top.

He let his hair stay damp not in the mood to dry it and instead let it become a wild curly mess as he jogged lightly down the stairs. He still felt a bit numb but he felt more in control now more sure of himself as he headed for Aphmau who had changed into flannel pajamas.

"Hey honey" She said softly  and he let her play with his scalp with her gentle nails as he let out a deep breath relaxing into her on the couch.

"You wanted to talk?" He whispered softly tilting his head into her touch as she chuckled slightly.

"What's going on Babe . . . you look like a zombie just shuffling around" She questioned and he winced at her description, aware of how accurate it was.

"It's a long . . long story . . ." He murmured looking up at her hesitating giving her a chance to back out now if she so chose. "It's  . .  confusing I'm not sure you'll believe me"