Chapter 23

________________

"Hey Nana" Zane was greeted by the meif'wa immediately enveloping him a hug the instant his feet breached the threshold and he fell into her. Her scent her touch her mood her love all of it and just let her hold him as he leaned his forehead against hers. It was a comfort to finally have someone to hold him like this. Not that he didn't care about his brother or his father but they didn't love him the way she did. 

Garroth fared no better Aphmau tackling him the moment he stepped inside and he was shocked for a split second until he hugged her back. She pulled away sadly and Garroth gave her a grayed smile the slight light in his eye not reaching it. 

"Come into the kitchen . . ." Zane and Garroth both felt something heavy and horrible drag at their hearts at the sound of their mother's voice. She didn't look composed at all instead her face barely holding the makeup that hide her redness and her eyes were rimmed red. Her voice was raw though, and Garroth knew in his bones it was from screaming and crying as he swallowed knowing. 

"Zianna" Garte's voice was hushed as he gently took her hands before leading her away a bit then hugging her "My wonderful woman you need something hot and warm come on" She protested meekly trying to pull away but tiredly let her husband lead her into the kitchen with his arm protectively around her shoulders. 

"I can make hot cocoa" Laurence offered quietly as Garroth shot him a grateful nod eyes softening "I could bring some by to Ein and Aaron . . ." 

"Aaron didn't come here?" Aphmau perked at the news as she frowned before sighing "He wouldn't leave Ein would he?" Her crossed arms were the only thing that tipped off her disappointment but Zane sighed as she looked to him

"Ein wouldn't come here . . . They're at your place" Zane confirmed her thoughts sadly as Aphmau's eyes softened in understanding and the women made for her room upstairs. 

"Let's go make that cocoa" Kawaii~Chan said softly as she took Zane's hands leading him slowly into the kitchen. Garroth hesitated to join them, as he looked up the stairs instead turning away before making his way up as well. Laurence raised an eyebrow eyes following where Garroth was going. He finally sighed opting to head into the kitchen as a somber peace settled over the household. 

______________________________

They watch silently pressed closed enough together that one might think they were friends but nothing more. Though the fact was they knew more than they let on, and neither had any misconceptions about the girls death and what caused it. 

Garroth stood up quietly the last one to speak as he looked down at his hands hiding the tears brimming in his eyes. Every cell in his body wanted to yell or to scream how she had sacrificed her life for the love of her life for them but he couldn't. It all felt so unfair for her life to go so quietly publicly. 

"Jenna was my sister. I think before . . . before her parents passed away . . .  she was still my sister" Garroth swallowed thickly before continuing. "She . . . was my best friend and my family in every way that she could be." 

Laurence, from where he sat respectfully gave a small smile looking up his own eyes filling with tears as he nodded Garroth taking a deep breath seeing him. Garroth was struck again by how unfair it was and before he could think an idea was coming to him. Garroth finally straightened with a heavy look to the crowd.