Chapter 22

________________

"Zane is with her handling all the forms." Garroth spoke softly finally speaking up for the first time since most of them had made it back to the apartment.

Ein isn't in the room having locked himself in his own room the moment they made it back. Laurence is leaning against the doorway looking like he's going to be sick, or like he going to start throwing things. Aaron, who Laurence had miraculously snuck past the ME's with the excuse of the werewolf fainting, was in his room.

Garte didn't seem to hear him from where he sat on a bed opposite to Garroth's but he nodded anyways a sickly calm overtaking the grieving man. "I already made . . . made plans for her to come home . . ." He whispered and Garroth felt something painful beat with his father's voice. "Your mother knows"

"You called her?" Garroth looks up in fear as Laurence swallows focusing on a particularly interesting stain he spies in the carpet. Garroths eyes water as he swallows quietly wetting his lips "W-What did . . . is Mum okay?" He asked voice trembling as he stared at his father.

"S-She . . . . Garroth we're grieving, we're not okay" Garte seemed to relent looking at him with a slight look of pain as he stood and hugged his son suddenly hiding the tears in his eyes. "My first concern is all of you however."

"I-I've got to go" Laurence's teeth are gritted shut and he nearly slams the door as he leaves but Garroth can only shake his head as he finally hugs his father quietly. They stand there for a few moments and Garroth is the first to let go as he inhales, sounding like he was gulping air.

"I-I just feel numb" He whispers staring down at the carpet "N-Numb or . . . or like I'm just going through the motions living and not actually dealing with anything . . ."

"That's okay" Ein's raspy sounding voice can be heard behind them and both Ro'Meaves turn to see him standing shakily in the doorway.

Ein looks like walking death. His eyes are red and puffy and his hair looks like it was taken through a rainstorm then a wind tunnel and it's sticking up in places it shouldn't physically be able to. The worst is his whole appearance. He looks sick and he's pale only the red on his cheeks and eyes the only color on him.

"Ein" Garte says quietly giving a small nod "Your free to sit"

"I-I don't want to" Ein whispers flinching before changing the subject "B-but it's okay to feel numb . . ."

"I'm not some victim" Garroth snaps before he even realizes he's said anything and Ein gives a small wince as The Ro'Meave flinches tears gathering more quickly.

"I-I can't feel anything . . . Every-time I . . . I think of it or her . . . I just see her in my arms again dead and I feel like I'm drowning" Ein whispered again his voice filling with emotion. "I don't feel alive"

"E-Ein" Garroth clambers up and takes him by the shoulder as the ro'meave gives him a fierce look of what he tries to make anger but it's coming out more as desperation. His lack "Ein what happened . . ." He lets go as Ein swallows tears collecting again looking fearfully down at his hands.

"J-Jenna . . He told me I was the holder of Shad's relic. He wanted me not any of you. J-Jen, she attacked him to protect me" Ein swallowed looking down his ears going flat as Garroth let the information wash over him taking a step back.