Chapter 19

_______________

Immediately Garroth halted freezing where him and Laurence embraced even though Rage was filtering through him. Laurence's grip tightened and Garroth couldn't tell if it was to hold himself back or him.

"Gene" Jenna spat snarling at him as Laurence finally let go of him and Garroth turned to face him hiding the chill that came with meeting Gene's cold blue eyes.

"Nice to see you joined the party sweetheart. I could use a treat" Gene drawled eyes flashing bright red as Aaron seemed to gulp at it backing up a little. Ein's grip tightened on Jenna's hand as the wolf visibly snarled baring canine like fangs.

"Gene, even I admit I didn't think you'd come here to die" Zane spoke now too stepping forward lips twisting into a cruel dark smile.

"Oh how cute!" Gene gasped sarcastically as he gave a sardonic grin "I came here thinking the same thing about you!"

"You touch one hair on their head and I will kill you Gene I swear it, I'm not some naive high schooler this time" Laurence's voice deepened tinged with what, Garroth realized with a start, was the nether. His childhood best friend was staring down the man in front of them blocking the exit with pure hate and the hellfire swimming in his eyes only confirmed it.

"You see there's a hiccup in that plan, I'm Shad's favored one. His champion" There was a flash of sickening pride in his eyes when he said that and Zane being the only who could recognize it tightened his hands into fists as Gene kept speaking

"You see I'm not a low level runt rebel like dear Vylad or a skilled deserter like Laurence here" He smirked pointing to him as Jenna snarled snapping at him tail bristling.

"Then what are you?" Aaron was the one who spoke up but his voice was shaking as he finally stepped forward shooting a look to Ein who nodded quietly glad his partner was next to him.

"I'm a high knight. You all were dead the moment you stepped in here"

"I think not" The shade, whom everyone had forgotten floated forward it's form growing as it swelled with smugness grinning with teeth at Gene who narrowed his eyes. It finally moved hissing as it drew closer to him waving his hands as in the center runes suddenly appeared glowing gold "Oh stupid little knight of Shadows, Irene knew of many things about the knights. She was the dearest of friends to one"

Gene visibly snarled at the sight as he hissed stumbling backward and Laurence blinked seeming to sway as Garroth put his hands on his shoulder steadying him.

"You won't stop me" He snapped before viciously grinning "Shad has his tricks too you know"

Everything changed after that. Gene spoke something his voice dark and spitting at every bar of whatever he was saying as the shade let out a long wail light bursting from it as it vanished and Laurence stared wide-eyed at Gene. Gene grinned stepping forward again as Laurence went slack eyes glazing over trembling and Garroth immediately held him up shaking him worried.

"Garroth let him sit, something's wrong" Zane said immediately rushing closer as Laurence choked on his air shaking his head eyes filling with tears. His eyes were blank staring at something that wasn't there.

"Garroth Zane!" Jenna yelled as she burst forward spying Gene teleport suddenly in a flurry of windswept embers despite no wind blowing. Aaron beat her to it as he shifted mid air rapidly landing On Gene biting him snarling.