32

Sunday, April 21 2019

Kismet sat in Anna's room, waiting for her to come out of the bathroom so she could help her do her hair.

They had spent the Saturday before driving around downtown and indulging in a little retail therapy and gift shopping. Anna had spent an hour convincing Kismet to purchase a dress for the thanksgiving dinner, but it didn't pay off. Kismet had instead moved onto shopping for Faye's baby—who she bought at least three large bags of clothes for, ranging in sizes of newborn to 18 months. 

The door swung open, the steam from the bathroom spilling through the doorway before dissipating into the air.

"Finally," Kismet grumbled. "I thought you'd never come out."

Anna rolled her eyes at her dramatics. "It's only been an hour," she replied offhandedly, wringing her hair out with the towel.

"Only?" Kismet repeated incredulously. She stood up from her spot on the bed, a towel wrapped only around her lower half. Her wet hair hung down to her waist, and she was wearing a flimsy black bra as a cover-up.

"What time is it?" Anna asked her.

"It's 5:43," she replied, dropping her phone onto the bed. "We have a little more than an hour before we're supposed to be at Wess's," she added.

"Okay," Anna looked at her expectantly. "Hair?"

"Mine dries straight anyway," Kismet replied dismissively, waving her off. Instead, she pushed Anna towards the vanity, quickly helping her blow-dry and curl her hair; the short, blonde strands compliant. Her own hair had begun to air dry but the ends were still wet.

"There," she stated, stepping away to admire her work. Anna grinned excitedly, tackling her into a tight hug.

"I love it. Now go change," she commanded, pushing her towards the door.

She complied easily, walking into her room to grab her change of clothes. She had bought a thin, cropped turtleneck sweater—per Anna's recommendation. She had bought a lacy red bra with it too because her only red bra was in Wesley's hamper when she had last seen it. Red was necessary because (according to an article on Buzzfeed) red is the least noticeable colour to wear under white tones.

After pulling on her undergarments, she slipped into the top. It fell a little below her bra line—clearly, it was on the shorter side. Did this shrink? she thought in confusion. It had seemed longer in the store.

After a failed attempt to check the back of her top for the size tag, she conceded and pulled on a pair of straight jeans. She rummaged for some jewelry, deciding on small, chunky gold hoop earrings and her gold Cartier wedding-band-style ring. Her neck was covered in the turtleneck and she didn't want to add on any accessories atop it.

Because of the turtleneck, she sprayed her perfume on the inner side of her wrists, rubbing them together and avoiding her neck. Checking herself in the mirror a final time, she trudged to Anna's room again.

Anna gasped as she saw her enter, her hands flying to her mouth. "You pretty bitch," she squealed, the sound significantly muffled by her hands. "Spin for me!"

Kismet grinned, doing a quick little spin. "Your ass in these jeans—stop," Anna complimented.

Kismet shook her head at her, admiring the skirt and sweater Anna wore, giving her two thumbs up. "I could eat you," she exclaimed in return, beginning to walk backwards out of her room.

Anna laughed and then gestured to her bare feet. "What shoes are you wearing?"

"White sneakers," she replied, walking towards the stairs. "I don't have the energy for heels," she called out behind her.