3

Kismet took a quick shower to get ready, drying her hair with the blow drier so she wouldn't catch a cold. God knew how weak her immune system was.

She changed into a pair of solid grey Roots sweatpants and a forest green UBC hoodie, forgoing her bra. For travel comfort purposes, she reasoned with herself.

Her brown hair, now dried, hung in subtle waves down her back.

When she was younger, her mother styled her hair long. As she grew older, she decided to cut it to her shoulders and had let it remain in the cropped hairstyle well through university as well.

Only when she graduated had she begun growing her hair, back to the way her mother liked it. Now it reached a couple inches above her waist.

Having finished getting ready, she moved on to Professors belongings. She grabbed a couple of his toys and the little carrier in which he travelled with her. She identified Professor as her carry on, so she wasn't able to travel with additional luggage.

She lugged her bag down the stairs, setting it near the door before heading up for the carrier and Professor, who was last seen in her bedroom.

Once the luggage was set aside, and Professor safely in his carrier, she grabbed her iPhone, AirPods, wallet and keys, stuffing the others in her pockets and hanging the keys around her neck.

She made sure to pull on a heavier duty jacket with her boots because of the low negatives outside, as well as the familiar British Columbian February winter.

The flight felt longer than it was for Kismet, who, albeit having travelled between Ontario and British Columbia numerous times, experienced the familiar nerves of going back to her hometown.

Perhaps it was because she was returning for the first time in a while. Or, then, the fear that she would run into old acquaintances. She never was one for awkward reunions.

Maybe it was because of the dark memories it carried, in relation to her mother's sickness. Or that it was her mother's place of burial.

It could be because it is where she lost her first and only love.

Maybe, though, it was from excitement; excitement to see her father and best friend, to return to her childhood home.

Pretend, for a couple days short of a week, that she wasn't a 24 year old with an abundance of responsibilities and a job to return to.

Distracted by her thoughts, she missed the attendant's landing announcement. Only aware that they were in British Columbia when the people around her began to stand up, pulling out their carry-ons and waiting in the aisle impatiently.

Kismet patted down her pockets to make sure her wallet and phone were on her; the music in her ears and the light weight around her neck was a confirmation of the other two.

She grabbed professors little carrier, stepping into the aisle as the person behind her gave her a 'go ahead' signal.

She smiled in quick thanks, following the people ahead of her off the plane.

The walk and process through security and into the receiving area for domestic flights was one she recognized through muscle memory.

Upon exiting the main doors, she looked around, already at an advantage because of her height. She spotted her father almost immediately, feeling the excited thrumming of her heart.

She fastened her pace, dragging her suitcase along, careful not jostle Professor who remained asleep in his carrier.

Adam Khyber turned around in time to see the quickly approaching girl who, in his eyes, resembled her mother; his wife, so much.