24

Kismet was standing in front of Wesley as Mathew cut an exceptionally large cake, loudly leading the group of drunk people singing Happy Birthday. Except she wasn't drunk, she just sounded like it.

She could feel Wesley laughing behind her as he managed to get out of some of the lyrics, his large shoulders shaking. As they completed the song, everyone burst out in applause, and Wesley snaked his arms around Kismet's waist to clap his hands together.

Mathew fed pieces of the cake to anyone and everyone he could reach, stuffing a large piece into Kismet's unsuspecting mouth as well. She lifted an alarmed hand to her mouth, trying not to let the cake fall.

By the time she had finished chewing, the crowd had dispersed and she found herself taking a seat at the bar with Wesley, Mathew and a few others.

Mathew called over the bartender, ordering a round of drinks. He slid a shot glass towards Kismet, who shook her head. "I don't drink," she told him with a smile, pushing it back towards him.

Mathew glanced between her and Wesley, shaking his head. "Virgins," he muttered playfully, turning back to the blonde bartender. He slid the shot towards her, gesturing for her to down it.

Kismet laughed lightly, turning away from them to face Wesley. She began to say something but was cut off by the feeling of a cold hand against her back.

She turned around abruptly, surprised to see Nate. "Hey!" she greeted, climbing off her seat to give him a quick hug. He returned it happily, greeting her.

"You look beautiful," he said with awe as she pulled away from him.

She blushed, leaning back to sit on her stool once more. "Did you just reach?" she asked once she was settled.

He nodded his head, "Yeah, I had a meeting with an investor regarding that app I told you about," he explained. When she didn't reply, he glanced uncertainly towards the dance floor before looking at her.

Wesley recognized the look of decisiveness on Nate's face, abruptly making his presence known. He got up from behind Kismet, reaching over to greet Nate with a pat on the back. "Hey, you missed the cake cutting. Birthday boy's right over there," he pointed out, steering him by the shoulders towards where Mathew sat.

He returned to Kismet a moment later, turning her stool around to face him, her legs wedged comfortably between his as he began to talk to her.

By the time Nate pulled out of conversation with Mathew, he could only watch the way the two interacted—leaning close to one another to be heard, disregarding the rest of the world.

"Honestly, I'm not that kind of man. I want to take you on a date, and then fuck you."

An hour later, Kismet sat at the bar listening unresponsively to one of the guys' teammates flirt with her. Jamie, was it? She felt a headache developing, glancing around the crowded room in search for Wesley who had gone to the bathroom some twenty minutes ago.

Her eyes travelled over the masses pointlessly, her head heavy. She refocussed her gaze on the opening that led to the restroom hallway, narrowing on a familiar figure standing idle. He seemed to be accompanied by two other women.

As though he could feel the heat of her stare, he glanced towards her, meeting her eyes. His eyebrows creased together for a moment before he mouthed something to her, or at least that's what it seemed like from a distance.

When she didn't make a move to respond, he turned away from her, facing the two women once more. He said something to them before looking at her and waving her over.

With a quick, uncomfortably forced smile, she ended the conversation between herself and Jamie, climbing off of the barstool.

The majority of the party goers were drunk, sweaty and overly affectionate. She wasn't fazed in the least as she felt two random men try to grind against her.

Successfully exiting the rambunctious crowd, she walked towards where Wesley stood.

As Wesley saw Kismet approach, he quickly reached towards her, grabbing her hand. He tugged her towards himself, wrapping an arm around her waist.

Kismet let herself be manhandled, having put two and two together. She wrapped her arm around his waist in return, leaning her head against his muscled arm.

"Meet my girlfriend, Kismet. Kiss, this is Emily and Joselyn," he introduced. Kismet smiled politely at who Wesley named Joselyn, before grimacing at the Emily that was glaring at her.

"It's nice to meet you," she said, mainly addressing Joselyn.

Joselyn shared a smile with her before glancing tiredly at Emily, "Okay, can we leave now. The Uber's out front."

Emily scowled at Joselyn before smiling sweetly at Wesley. "I'll call you," she stated seductively as she leaned closer to him, and consequently Kismet. Kismet placed a hand against her chest, pushing her away.

"You will not," she replied for him, enjoying her temporary privilege. Wesley choked back a laugh, coughing instead.

Emily glanced at Kismet with disgust, rolling her eyes before walking away. Joselyn gave them an apologetic smile as she mouthed a "sorry," following behind her.

Kismet pulled away from Wesley, looking at him dryly. "Who's number did you give her? Cause it sure as hell wasn't your own."

Wesley winced, avoiding her accusing eyes.

She groaned. "Really? You couldn't handle one girl on your own?"

Wesley shook his head. "She was crazy," he argued.

Kismet frowned, "She wasn't crazy. She was just into you. And she was pretty," she replied.

Wesley just shook his head. "You know," he muttered, baiting her to reply.

"Know what?"

"That I only have eyes for you," he completed, smiling slightly.

She hated that he still knew— that he could remember her favourite moments from her favourite books. This time, he quoted Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns.

She didn't know how to reply to this. She hadn't expected him to remember. It was a list of moments he'd uncovered during a tailored game of 21 questions, nearly half a decade ago.

So she stared at him in the middle of the loud, crowded club, trying to convey with her tired eyes how much she regretted the actions taken by her 21 year old self.