11

Thursday, February 28 2019

The physicians' lounge was busy. There were qualified persons changing footwear, shrugging off and pulling on jackets, making quick coffee, and talking among each other.

There is always one day of the week that is more packed than others. Call it the work of the universe, patients' availability, or Oliver's scheduling.

With the change of schedule's, Thursday's became that day.

Kismet had a comparatively long day on Thursday's, starting at 11 AM and ending at something past 6 PM.

Her last patient for the day was Matthew, due at 5 PM.

She glanced at her watch as she hurried through the halls, 5:02 PM, it read. She kept a hand over her open smoothie as she made her way to the room, having forgotten the lid in the lounge.

Mathew turned his head to look at the door, watching with amusement as Kismet walked in, her cheeks flushed and hair astray, both hands holding a blender bottle.

She bit her lower lip, hiding an embarrassed smile at her own expense. She cleared her throat, "Good afternoon, Matt."

He grinned at her, pleased that she used his nickname, "Afternoon, Doc."

Kismet shook her head, at both the nickname and her tardiness. "I'm sorry I made you wait, I was in a bit of a situation earlier."

She lifted a sticky hand off her open bottle of smoothie, grimacing.

Mathew chuckled, "You should clean that up. I can wait."

Kismet gave him a quick smile in thanks, walking to a nearby washroom. She gave her hands a quick rinse, then headed back to the room.

Mathew welcomed her as she did, and she began their session a moment later.

Kismet helped Matthew move his leg to perform the stretches, activating the muscles and releasing the tension.

He grunted as he tried again, without her assistance this time.

He huffed out a breath, glancing at her as he executed the stretches. "You know Knight?"

Kismet paused, confused for a moment.

Mathew noticed, and quickly explained, "Knight, Knighton? Wesley?"

Her heart thudded against her chest, and she swallowed uncomfortably. She ignored what he said, moving closer to him as she guided his leg once more, gently nudging it outwards and back in.

She then addressed him, "Yes."

It was a one-worded, not-at-all helpful answer, but it encouraged Mathew.

He tried the stretch on his own, for the third time, exhaling harshly. "How?"

He knew, he just wanted to hear her explain it.

Kismet sighed, "We were friends in university."

Mathew shook his head, slightly smirking, "Just friends?"

Kismet glanced at him, her eyes dangerous, "Mathew, I'm going to lift and straighten your other leg now."

He shut up, understanding he'd pushed her limits. She proceeded to adjust his leg with caution and a gentle hand, despite his earlier taunt.

At the movement, Mathew groaned loudly, cursing.

It was then that Wesley walked into the room, only in Mathews line of vision once more.